By Silvio Rizzi
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Reeder is a client for:
- Feed Wrangler
- Minimal Reader
- The Old Reader
- BazQux Reader
Don't want to use a third-party service? Reeder also supports local/standalone RSS (no sync).
- Classic (iPad only)
- Dark → night reading
- White → more contrast
- Black → more contract, night reading
- Safari Reading List
- QUOTE.fm (recommend and read later)
A note regarding the sync services:
There's currently no support for service specific features, except for Feed Wrangler (limited Smart Folders support) and Fever (limited Hot Links support)
What's New in Version 2.6
- iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus support
- Support for landscape mode (iOS 8 only)
- Standard share sheet → “More…” in Reeder’s share panel (iOS 8 only)
- Various bug fixes for iOS 8
- Failed authentication error handling
This is an outstanding update to an already-outstanding app. Reeder became my preferred feed reader after I tried about a dozen others.
Pros: 1. Private. Does not require accounts on third party services. (But works with several.) 2. Noninvasive. Lets you get right to your content without annoying requests for reviews. 3. Unobtrusive. Interface is minimal and efficient. I like the option for inverted colors when I'm reading in bed. 4. Responsive design. I use it for text feeds on my iPhone and for video feeds on my iPad. Both work great.
Cons: None. In an earlier review, I cited the lack of landscape mode as the only drawback. With the latest release, landscape mode is now supported!
Decent, but needs work
1. Screen navigation is cumbersome. There are too many views in the navigation stack. Remove the account view from the main stack and display it via a button on the subscriptions view (in place of the back button) and/or by tapping the account icon at the top.
2. Desperately needs ability to customize fonts. I can't believe this isn't supported in an app that's devoted to reading and the single font chosen for the app isn't that great.
3. iPad--Full screen article list view (at least in portrait orientation). In portrait, you can't browse an article while the list is visible anyway, so why not make the list fill the screen when it is active? The current implementation feels small and awkward.
4. Needs option to automatically enable Readability mode for all articles. I shouldn't have to manually invoke it for every single article.
5. Add option to disable confirmation dialogue after tapping mark all read icon, or add long tap to icon to mark read without dialogue.
6. When dark theme enabled, also darken custom share menus, action sheets, and settings.
As it stands, I would rate this the 3rd best RSS reader for iPad, behind both Mr Reader and Newsify.
Love this app!
Please allow for me to add tags to items I export to Pocket or Evernote. Those databases become so large over time that the only way to navigate them is through tags. It would be great if I could just open Evernote or Pocket and they are ready for me to search and find what I need and not have to spend large amounts of time going through all the items I exported from Reeder 2 and applying tags to them.
- Category: News
- Updated: Nov 06, 2014
- Version: 2.6
- Size: 4.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Silvio Rizzi
- © Silvio Rizzi
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.