Castro: High Fidelity Podcasts
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Castro is a revolutionary podcast client that's smart, focused, and exclusive to iOS.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
“New podcast listening app for iPhone, with an elegant, simple interface. I don’t recall ever seeing a playback/scrubbing interface quite like Castro’s, and it’s really good.”
— John Gruber, Daring Fireball
“Personally speaking, I've found my new podcast app of choice.”
— Richard Devine, iMore
The Financial Times crowned Castro the "Best Designed App for Listening to Serial".
“This app is great. It’s a new entrant into the iOS podcasting space, but it shouldn’t be seen that way. It’s a very functional app in a visually impressive package.”
— Benjamin Mayo, 9to5mac
“Castro's a fantastic podcast app”
“Podcast clients continue to be a modern UI design playground for an evolving medium, and Castro 1.1 is a solid exponent in this field.”
— Federico Viticci, Mac Stories
— Jim Dalrymple
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* Gesture-based interface that puts content front and center.
* Episodes timeline makes it easy to find the latest episodes of all your podcasts.
* Continuous play option to automatically play the next episode.
* Voice-optimized playback speed algorithm makes podcasts sound incredibly good when played at fast or slow speeds. No other podcast app sounds this good.
* Full screen themes make podcasts look as good as they sound.
* Innovative player controls, optimized for podcast listening.
* Takes advantage of iOS's background features to keep your podcasts fully updated, even when you're not in the app.
* Automatically downloads new episodes as they are published.
* Instant, clear, notifications when new episodes come out.
* Turn on News Mode to keep only the most recent episode of frequently updated podcasts.
* Exceptionally fast search.
* Simple, well thought out settings.
* Easy to manage cellular data usage.
* Sleep timer for listening in bed. Still awake when the episode pauses? Just tap play again on the lock screen or headphone remote to extend the sleep timer.
* Intelligent storage management — you set the size limit and Castro will delete old episodes as necessary to keep within it.
* Supports streaming and offline playback.
* Ability to play episodes without subscribing to the podcast.
* We keep Castro updated regularly, fixing any bugs you report and adding new features.
What's New in Version 1.5.1
- Fixes a crash that affected users upgrading from the previous version.
Oisín and Pádraig are hard at work on Castro 2 — it’s a big project and it’s going well, but it’ll take a few more months to finish. We didn’t want to wait any longer to get some important iOS 9 and iPhone 6S features to you, so here's Castro 1.5. We’re also making a big change to the pricing model.
iOS 9 Features
- Spotlight search: You can now search for your subscribed podcasts and the back catalogue of their episodes from the iOS home screen’s spotlight search.
- In-app Safari: Follow links without leaving the app. Swipe from the edge of the screen to close the browser. You can opt out in settings if you’d prefer to open links in Safari app instead.
iPhone 6S/6S+ Features
- 3D Touch peek and pop throughout the app. Swipe up when peeking a podcast or episode to quickly perform actions without leaving the screen you're on.
- 3D Touch app icon shortcuts: Quickly play/pause, start the sleep timer, search with your clipboard, or if you're feeling adventurous try Lucky Dip to play a random episode from one of your podcasts.
- New URL Scheme commands: castro://lucky to play a random episode and castro://sleep to set the sleep timer.
- We relented and Settings now has a cog icon.
Castro is now a free app, with optional patronage. Patronage doesn’t unlock any additional features, but if you choose to contribute, you’ll help guarantee a long future for the app.
Aside from signing up to be a patron, you can also help us by leaving a nice review on the store!
In most every way Castro is the podcast app that Apple should have made. It has a very clean look, and the user interface makes it intuitive and easy to use. Plus, it streams, which is quite handy when I don't feel like waiting to download. The only thing lacking is podcast discovery. The search function works great but there's no list of the top podcasts, another one with newer, trending podcasts, or a list of podcasts sorted by category, by network etc. Whenever I want these things I just open Apple's iOS podcasts app but I'd like to be able to just use Castro.
My favorite way to experience podcasts.
This app is a beautiful and elegant way to organize and listen to your podcasts. The app also contains powerful and convenient tools to help make your podcasting the best experience it can be.
Now that this app as gone free there's no excuse not to at least try it. It's the best looking podcast client on iOS, now it has 3D Touch, and it's free. I switched from Overcast and I'm not looking back.
Was Awesome, Now It Asks For Subscription
This is a paid app that asks for a subscription now. It has a patron message on your podcast list. This makes it seem like an ad. This needs to be placed in the settings menu. If this was a free app this would be okay but it is a paid app. I hate apps asking for more money all the time. Player works fine. Look is nice. Touch areas are a bit small, impossible to use while running. Save your money and look elsewhere.
- Category: News
- Updated: Nov 13, 2015
- Version: 1.5.1
- Size: 6.6 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: Supertop Software
- © Supertop 2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- 3-Month Optional Patronage$2.99
- 12-Month Optional Patronage$11.99
- 6-Month Optional Patronage$5.99