The application analyzes the data from the phone's accelerometer and builds a vibration spectrum. This allows the evaluation of not only the strength and frequency of the vibration, but also the speed of rotation of various mechanisms: fans, motors, various rotating components; since the vibration frequency often (but not always) coincides with the frequency of rotation. The application will be useful in determining the quality of fans and motors, in determining whether their actual parameters coincide with the ones declared by the manufacturer, it will find its uses in monitoring of malfunctions (e.g. in bearings) or while testing the quality of assembly and balancing of the homemade mechanisms with rotating parts.
To obtain the vibration spectrum (rotational speed of the mechanism) you just need to place the phone on top of the source of vibration (or close to it, if the vibration is too strong), and tap "Start". If necessary, a foam material can be used to further reduce the vibrations of the phone.
Important! Do not expose your iPhone to an excessive vibration, as it may break. If the analyzed vibration is too strong, use a foam material pad, or put your iPhone at a distance where the force of the vibration is not dangerous to your device. In addition to decreasing vibration for the iPhone, a foam pad improves contact between the iPhone and the vibrating part, which makes the transmission of vibration more accurate and produces better results.
BE SURE TO READ THE EXAMPLES OF THE VIBRATION SPECTRUM ANALYSIS AT THE APPLICATION WEB SITE (usefulmobileapps.com).
Features of the full version of the application:
• Showing the maximum value.
• The choice of units of measurement. X-axis: Hz or RPM. Y-axis: g, m/s², ft/s², mm/s, in/s (ips), mm, mil, dB(A), dB(V).
• Taking a screenshot by lightly touching the screen.
• Data export to e-mail. You can choose the format of the exported data. Export to WAV. Number of points is adjusted via "Data collection time".
• Selecting which axis of the accelerometer is to collect data.
• Accelerometer connects to the headphone jack (Measurement range from 5 Hz to 21000 Hz. Step 1 or 0.2 Hz.).
• A stroboscope for an external accelerometer (the feature was proposed by Todd French from Los Angeles, California).
• Bluetooth accelerometer.
When converting acceleration into speed or displacement, at 0-5 Hz frequencies noise starts prevailing over vibration peaks, which is why such frequencies are disregarded when doing the conversion. Should vibration frequency exceed 50 Hz, the peak will be recorded at an incorrect frequency, and hence speed or displacement will not be calculated correctly. Unrealistically high speed or large displacement may be a sign of this kind of false frequency.
• Minor changes.
Ratings and Reviews
I was browsing through app store and came accross with this app. I showed it to my husband....he was so happy .... Now he uses this app while buying things like fans. This app is great as it helps to check if the product actually does what is explained by the manufacturer. So far we are happy with this app. It works well with all the electrical things.
QUESTION FOR DEVELOPER
Dmitry - I can't find your contact info anywhere. I asked you a question from Equipixy regarding this app and a possible adaptation for automotive drivetrain vibration analysis.
This app is super! Please contact me to see if we can merge this with the strobe tach app. That would be awesome if it is possible.
Work fast, need more analytical tools
I like this app. Fast Fourier transform. Would definitely benefit from more and better analytical tools. i.e. Set scale after sample, focus on area, noise reduction, etc.
- Dmitriy Kharutskiy
- 12.4 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, German, Japanese, Russian
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2014 Dmitriy Kharutskiy
- In-App Purchases
- Settings $2.99
- External accelerometer $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.