Notebooks - All Your Documents, Files and Tasks
By Alfons Schmid
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Notebooks allows you to create as many books as you need to write, store and structure your details of life, and it will quickly become the one and only repository for all journals, ideas, notes, drafts, stories and diaries but also for your projects, task lists, documents, files and everything else you want to keep close at hand.
Use Notebooks to create carefully formatted documents with styles and embedded photos, or to quickly write plain text notes. Convert between these formats any time, and if you want to use Markdown, Notebooks knows how to handle that as well. It is a perfect, distraction free writing environment.
Notebooks stores and displays almost any type of document: plain text and formatted text, PDF, web pages, MS Office documents, photos, videos, music and much more. Everything you want to keep organized can go directly into Notebooks.
Notebooks also keeps your task lists and allows you to tick off your to-dos as you complete them. Divide your projects into nested sub projects, which makes them easier to handle, and cross-reference into your reference library, which, of course, is in Notebooks, too.
Notebooks can share its files with the mobile versions of Notebooks on the iPad and iPhone, which allows you to conveniently work on your documents from your desktop, but also on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch when you are on your way. The synchronization between the devices currently supports Dropbox and many WebDAV servers (with Dropbox currently being the most convenient option).
Notebooks stores all your documents as regular files on your computer’s hard drive, so you can always access them through Finder to open and edit with other applications, too.
So whether you need to write something down or look something up, you need to have Notebooks on your Mac.
** Thank you for all your reviews and comments **
** If you have problems viewing PDF documents in Notebooks, you find a simple solution on our website at http://www.notebooksapp.com/mac/tips-notebooks-mac/#pdf **
What's New in Version 1.4.1
- Each book can now have its individual sort order for documents (title, created, modified, custom) and no longer needs to use a global setting.
- Task lists have a new option "Sort by Task State". Sorting tasks by title now ignores the task state and strictly sorts by title.
- New Setting: "Delete without warning".
- Emacs backup files do not appear in document list.
- Optimized page margins for plain text documents.
- Search window no longer appears off screen.
- macOS Sierra: Search window remains on same desktop as main window.
- macOS Sierra: Disable window tabbing.
- Keep Notebooks from sticking in "high power" mode.
- Adding text to an empty default document creates a new document of the preferred document type (as set in preferences).
- Changes to attributes are no longer accidentally reverted (color labels, for example).
- Better handling of Pandoc headers.
- Takes care of a few UI glitches.
Crashes, non-responsive developer
App kept crashing. Went to the developer's web site to ask for help. No response at all. Disappointed so far.
CANNOT SYNC WITH IPAD
THIS PROGRAM HOLDS GREAT POTENTIAL! HOWEVER, IT DOES NOT WORK EASILY! I CANNOT SYNC WITH DROPBOX AND WILL HAVE TO RE-ENTER ALL MY DATA AGAIN AFTER TRYING TO FIX IT. NO SUPPORT EITHER!!