Signal - Private Messenger
By Open Whisper Systems
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Privacy is possible, Signal makes it easy.
Using Signal, you can communicate instantly while avoiding SMS fees, create groups so that you can chat in real time with all your friends at once, and share media all with complete privacy. The server never has access to any of your communication and never stores any of your data.
• Say Anything - Signal uses an advanced end to end encryption protocol that provides privacy for every message every time.
• Open Source - Signal is Free and Open Source, enabling anyone to verify its security by auditing the code. Signal is the only private messenger that uses open source peer-reviewed cryptographic protocols to keep your messages safe.
• Be Yourself - Signal uses your existing phone number and address book. There are no separate logins, usernames, passwords, or PINs to manage or lose.
• Group Chat - Signal allows you to create encrypted groups so you can have private conversations with all your friends at once. Not only are the messages encrypted, but the Signal server never has access to any group metadata such as the membership list, group title, or group icon.
• Fast - The Signal protocol is designed to operate in the most constrained environment possible. Using Signal, messages are instantly delivered to friends.
• Speak Freely - Make crystal-clear phone calls to people who live across town, or across the ocean, with no long-distance charges.
For support, questions, or more information, please visit:
Follow us on Twitter (@WhisperSystems) for all of the latest updates and announcements.
What's New in Version 2.4
• Removed double send scenario for group chat
• Extended long-press media controls for Save/Delete/Copy to attachments
• Fixed 'new message' audio notification when viewing active thread
• UI/UX improvements on message bubble sizing for media and message compose field
• Updated translations
• Fixed attachment sending bug
One missing feature
This app is great. Has everything I want in a private messaging app expect for one crucial thing, the ability to block numbers via the app. I have someone that's harassing me on this app and I blocked their number on my cell phone but they can still message and call me on signal. Please add the feature to block people on this app and then it would be 5 stars.
This app is recommended by Edward Snowden and praised by many security experts.
The app is open source, lightweight, easy to use and less prone to errors (like not creating a secret chat in Telegram or leaving your chat history in the cloud for whatsapp)
People should stop complaining about giving contacts access. The app was always intended for privacy (protecting the content of your chat), not anonymity (hiding your identity).
You can use another phone to receive the SMS registration though.
A feature I would love is message timer. If you have any suggestion, go to github and file a ticket.
Easy but maybe too easy
Signal uses my contacts for easy connecting between friends but id rather use usernames. And the app could really use some sort of pin or touchid unlock security feature. Works great otherwise. Very easy to use.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Jul 26, 2016
- Version: 2.4
- Size: 13.8 MB
- Languages: English, Azerbaijani, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Macedonian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Shona, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish
- Seller: RIDDLE QUIET VENTURES, LLC
- © Open Whisper Systems
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.