Privacy is possible. Signal makes it easy.
Using Signal, you can communicate instantly while avoiding SMS fees, create groups so that you can chat in real-time with all of your friends at once, and share media and other files with complete privacy. The server never has access to any of your communication and never stores any of your data.
• Say Anything - Signal uses an advanced end-to-end encryption protocol that provides privacy for every message every time.
• Open Source - Signal is Free and Open Source, enabling anyone to verify its security by auditing the code. Signal is the only private messenger that uses open source and peer-reviewed cryptographic protocols to keep your messages safe.
• Be Yourself - Signal uses your existing phone number and address book. There are no separate logins, usernames, passwords, or PINs to manage or lose.
• Group Chat - Signal allows you to create encrypted groups so that you can have private conversations with all of your friends at once. Not only are the messages encrypted, but the Signal server never has access to any group information like the membership list, group title, or group icon.
• Fast - The Signal protocol is designed to operate in the most constrained environment possible. Messages are delivered quickly and reliably.
• Speak Freely - Make crystal-clear voice and video calls to people who live across town, or across the ocean, with no long-distance charges.
For support, questions, or more information, please visit:
Follow us on Twitter (@signalapp) for all of the latest updates and announcements.
• Optional support for Typing Indicators. The dots between the lines help you read between the lines.
• We revamped Signal's sending logic to improve performance in poor network conditions. Step into that top-floor elevator and lose reception with confidence, because the number of times that you'll need to manually retry is also going down.
• Signal now looks better than ever on the iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR.
• Take advantage of the new landscape media support. Turn your phone sideways while viewing pictures and videos. Be rebellious and watch a portrait video in landscape if you have fallen in love with videos that don't use your entire screen.
• Watch as your media uploads and downloads come full circle with the new file transfer progress indicator.
• We fixed a bug that prevented VoiceOver from working properly with the Settings icon.
Are you a fan of jobs and Steve Jobs? We are hiring full-time developers to join the iOS team. Work different. Work on Signal:
Ratings and Reviews
Why isn’t everybody using this app?
I’m a whistleblower in a federal corruption investigation who has been the victim of sustained, state level hacking attacks. One method of illegal surveillance used has been the prolific use of IMSI catchers (google it, if you don’t know). I’m talking 24 hour surveillance and wiretapping. I can’t express enough how crucial Signal has been in helping me have private conversations in this aggressive hacking environment. It has really stressed out my hackers. While they are still able to intercept my calls, they don’t know what I am saying or texting when using Signal and that has really helped level the playing field. The only challenge - and it’s a big one- is getting others to use the app and answer their frigging phones when Signal rings them. I solve this by sending a regular text telling people to check their Signal. But it really boggles my mind how comfortable people are about communicating out in the open in this day and age. Anyway, I owe a huge debt to Signal developers for providing this app for free.
Best Privacy App Yet
This is simply the best privacy app with everything neatly bundled into it. It has a nice authentication feature, sms & mms messaging & disappearing messages with people [to keep them clean if you’d like], calls, and keeps it all private, app switch privacy [keeping the screen blank for privacy while switching apps so wandering eyes cannot see the screen], and many more features packed into this powerhouse. To anyone experiencing any issues with calls, make sure your notifications are on and properly set with the app, and look into the settings in the app itself and it easily shows how to have your calls show up with the name [if you would like to] or just a call without a name. The settings are a breeze and make it very easy to understand.
Very rarely you’ll have to re-register for push notifications, but that’s also very easily accomplished.
If I could rate higher than 5 stars I would. 10 stars out of 5 stars is more like it...
Lose all history every time you change phone
There is no way to export messages from this app. No history, no media, nothing. There is absolutely no way. There is no backup and restore on iOS. As a result, I and my family members are about to lose years of messages that contain conversations about our young children. This terrible problem has not been fixed despite years of begging by several users on various forums. What's worse, they don't disclose it in the app description, no warnings at the time of install, nothing. This app is an unmitigated disaster for any normal person. I truly regret having migrated my family and my business associates onto this. I mean, I would've happily paid for an app like this to support development. If they made just this feature a paid feature I would have again paid. But instead the developers are adding frivolous features but not this critical usability.
If you are a spy, a journalist working in a sensitive situation, an anti government activist or a paranoid conspiracy guy, then this might be acceptable to you. For the rest of us, just stay the heck away and save yourself a lot of grief and loss later.
- RIDDLE QUIET VENTURES, LLC
- 106.1 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Albanian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Shona, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © Open Whisper Systems
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.