Signal - Private Messenger
By Open Whisper Systems
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Privacy is possible. Signal makes it easy.
* Say Anything - Send high-quality group, text, picture, and video messages, all without SMS and MMS fees.
* Speak Freely - Make crystal-clear phone calls to people who live across town, or across the ocean, with no long-distance charges.
* Be Yourself - Signal uses your existing phone number and address book. There are no separate logins, usernames, passwords, or PINs to manage or lose.
* Stay Secure - We cannot hear your conversations or see your messages, and no one else can either. No exceptions. You can even tap and hold on a contact's name to see advanced identity verification options. Everything in Signal is always end-to-end encrypted and painstakingly engineered in order to keep your communication safe.
* Go Fast - Signal is optimized for speed without compromise. Our state-of-the-art Axolotl protocol is unmatched in its performance, strength, and reliability.
* Remain Connected - Push notifications let you know when new messages have arrived, and they'll be waiting for you even if your battery dies or you temporarily lose service.
* Get Organized - Unique archive functionality makes it easy to keep track of the conversations that matter to you right now.
* Pay Nothing - Signal is supported by a team of dedicated developers, community donations, and grants. There are no advertisements, and it doesn't cost anything to use.
* View Source - All of our code is free, open, and available on GitHub (https://github.com/WhisperSystems).
* Join Movements - Technology developed by Open Whisper Systems is trusted and used by millions of people around the world every day.
* Include Everyone - Signal is fully compatible with TextSecure and RedPhone for Android.
Follow us on Twitter (@WhisperSystems) for all of the latest updates and announcements.
What's New in Version 2.2
- Optimized for iOS 9 including important performance and reliability improvements.
- Quick Replies: reply to messages from your lock screen. (iOS 9 only)
- 3D Touch Support.
- Latest translations.
Incredibly well implemented encryption
This is a game changer. It is incredibly well implemented end-to-end encryption in an open source platform! Signal is the same protocol that WhatsApp now uses, except this platform is completely open source, unlike WhatsApp. Security experts around the globe highly recommend this protocol for good reason. Its easy to use, trivial to setup, and secure- more secure than iMessage (which suffers from weak keys and copies in the cloud).
This is so simple to setup and use, it's a no-brainer!
EDIT: for those asking about why it requires access to your contacts, it's the way the app handles the initial key exchange securely. It generates hundreds of keys so you can have your initial contact and exchange of keys done securely from the very first message exchange. Read up on the protocol. It's really quite impressive how it's done! It's all open source, so take a look! It's nothing to worry about - it should make you feel even better about the security.
Open Source End-To-End Encryption
On December 28, 2014, Der Spiegel published slides from an internal NSA presentation dating to June 2012 in which the NSA deemed Signal's encrypted voice calling component (RedPhone) on its own as a "major threat" to its mission, and when used in conjunction with other privacy tools such as Cspace, Tor, Tails, and TrueCrypt was ranked as "catastrophic," leading to a "near-total loss/lack of insight to target communications, presence..."
So, that being said, my experience with it so far has been that it's consistently clearer, more efficient (less delay/lag in conversations), and more reliable than even Skype when calling on crappy wi-fi in Nowhere, Africa to developed countries. The only sacrifice is a very slight tinge in quality (barely noticeable "tinny-ness") and a dropped call once in awhile; both of which I find to be very, very minor annoyances considering my previous comments combined with the level of encryption applied. Well done, Open Whisper Systems.
Awesome Secure Communication App
This app is an awesome way to communicate with your other contacts who also have the app. It is almost like having your own STE! Easy encrypted calls and texts without the need to exchange PKI certificates, like PGP does with email.
And for the guy that is concerned with allowing it to access your contacts, it uses that information to automatically look up your contacts and find the necessary information for every one of your contacts that has the app too. It then auto populates the contact list within the app for the people you can communicate with, and the type of method that will work with that person (text only or call/text). It is necessary for auto lookup and key exchange to allow the access to your contacts, and who cares if you let them for the capability and security offered by the app; like that guys contacts can be so secret. ;)
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Nov 10, 2015
- Version: 2.2
- Size: 13.3 MB
- Languages: English, Azerbaijani, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish
- Seller: RIDDLE QUIET VENTURES, LLC
- © Open Whisper Systems
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.