By National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
This app measures magnetic field and display the data as graph or map in units of nanotesla (nT; one nanotesla equals 10^−9 tesla). Displays Z (downward component), H (horizontal intensity) and F (total intensity) of the local magnetic field vector. Data processing reduces the noise in the data to about 1% of the actual magnetic field. We rotate the magnetic data from the phone’s orientation to the real-world coordinates. Use it for recording magnetic data at a location or over an area. Export your data as a CSV file. Optionally, enable background reporting to help NOAA scientists understand more about the Earth’s magnetic field!
The new addition, Compass tab features a compass dial and level bubble, true North, local magnetic North, magnetic declination from World Magnetic Model, compass accuracy and current solar magnetic disturbance!
Use CrowdMag app as an offline magnetic calculator. Quickly get magnetic variation at remote sites or ships. Calculator gives magnetic variation (declination), dip angle, total field and other magnetic field components for date and location based on the latest World Magnetic Model (WMM2015). The model is developed primarily using data from ESA’s SWARM satellites and it accurately predicts the main magnetic field anywhere on the globe. It also provides the uncertainty and the time change of the modeled magnetic field.
- Customize recording frequency and location accuracy
- Interactive Google Map showing your magnetic data
- Graph your data as time series
- Check the quality of the data by comparing with WMM
- Export your data as a CSV file
- Enable/disable background reporting
- Clear stored data on your phone
- Optionally share your data with NOAA
- See crowdsourced magnetic data from other users
-Local Magnetic North
-Current solar magnetic disturbance
- Uses the most recent model (WMM2015)
- Compute Declination, Dip and Total Field and other components for given date and location (2014-2019)
- Autolocate your latitude/longitude
- Compass rose on a map
- Export data via email, Google Drive and other options
Visit http://ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/crowdmag.shtml to see crowdsourced magnetic data. Developers, let us know if you want to contribute magnetic data from your app to NOAA. Keywords: Magnetic Variation, World Magnetic Model, geomagnetism, crowdsourcing, sensor, navigation, magnetic, WMM, citizen, science, NOAA, calculator, compass.
Note that continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 1.7.2
Fixed timestamp bug.
I travel the world for a living. Knowing the correct Mag Variation has come in handy. The latest version includes an excellent compass which gives both True and Magnetic North. It is nice to be able to contribute information for this program. I find that it doesn't effect my battery usage that much.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Apr 10, 2017
- Version: 1.7.2
- Size: 11.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- © National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.