* Pocket Tactics - 5/5
* Armchair General - 90%
* Pocket Gamer - 8/10
* IGN - 8/10
* Digitally Downloaded - 4.5/5
* I Play Apps - 8/10
* iPad Insight - App of the week
Wars and Battles is a platform of turn-based wargames that simulate historical battles and campaigns over several centuries and continents. Wars and Battles offers you rich and immersive graphics, intuitive yet sophisticated gameplay and hours and hours of game. Integrating the sophistication of traditional wargames into tablets is our commitment to players fond of strategy, history or the military.
By buying the Wars and Battles app you will be able to play the campaign in each of the 4 battles in the package. This represents more than 50 original scenarios, of which there are more than 30 for Normandy 1944 and October War 1973 alone. Advanced scenarios and full battles (including “what-if” scenarios) are available through in-app purchases, so the fun never ends!
The next battles we will release are: Kharkov 1943 and The Korean War 1950-1951.
Key features of the games:
- Fight, turn-based battles in both 2D and 3D views in impressive visual quality;
- Play quick and full battle scenarios;
- Play in solo mode or in asynchronous multiplayer mode with any player in the world at any time;
- Become a strategist with every turn you take and every scenario you complete. Enjoy a progressive experience by upgrading your rank;
- Increase your knowledge of history thanks to extensive historical photos, commentaries and units’ fact sheets;
- 2 battles available, 2 additional battles to be released.
Get ready to step into the General’s shoes and rewrite some of history’s most famous battles!
Visit www.warsandbattles.com for more information.
Version 1.5.1559 of Wars and Battles.
- The display of combats are fixed on multiplayer mode.
- User is automatically reconnected at the end of impulsion on multiplayer mode.
- In-App purchases are availlable in multiplayer mode.
Ratings and Reviews
If you are looking for a deep, engaging turn-based hex-and-counter wargame on iOS, here you go, plenty of depth and with a rules set that covers everything you'd expect, but with enough folded into the background that even newbies should be able to get playing fairly quickly. WW2 in Normandy and Arab-Israeli October War or covered extensively with loads of smaller scenarios and big campaigns, all historical and well-balanced. Good graphics, clear without being cartoony.
AI is better in small games, but the larger battles are where the game really shines. The UI takes some getting used to -- how to examine stacks of units, or how to add support to a combat -- but everything becomes clear with a few plays. IAP gets you bigger scenarios and is well worth it.
It runs smoothly on both an iPad 3 and Pro. The only reason this review is missing the fifth star is because there are problems with online multiplayer. This game would be so great playing human opponents. I think this is a big reason that the game remains so underrated, if online play was active, there would be a bigger following.
It has been long time since an update, but the third installment, the Eastern front battle of Kharkov, is near complete. Hopefully the developers will continue to support this excellent game.
Really good war game
This is just a fantastic war game. Graphics are very good right down to the history of each unit and equipment piece. Game play is solid with a good amount of strategy. There a few issues like text getting cutoff in the events in the journal and large explosions graphics that are black polygons (hardly ever see it). But these minor issues are just that, minor.... And rare. If you like historical war gaming then you'll love this. Can't wait to play the other WW2 and civil wars battles that are coming soon.
Lots of fun, really evokes the feel of board war gaming but also very easy to get into; would happily recommend it to anyone with an interest in strategic games and/or history even if they had no war gaming experience. Love all the history packed in - the daily briefings, unit histories, equipment profiles etc. Currently there are battles for the 1973 Arab-Israeli October War and the 1944 invasion of Normandy (D-day), but others are in the works. Will be interesting to see how well the engine translates to older battles like Austerlitz and Gettysburg, but I'm hopeful.
- HexWar Games Ltd
- 708.5 MB
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2013 Kermorio S.A.
- In-App Purchases
- Normandy 1944 Pack $6.99
- October War 1973 Pack $6.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.