Wire secures your business and personal chats, files and calls with end-to-end encryption. All data is protected by European privacy laws.
Wire combines strong end-to-end encryption with great user experience, and all the great features to get work done in a team, or to bring friends and families together.
It works on all major platforms and devices so your chats, files and calls are always in sync and available everywhere.
• End-to-end encryption – Chats, calls and files are secured and only the participants have the keys to unlock what is said or sent. Wire does not have access to your conversations.
• Based in Europe – Wire follows strict Swiss data protection laws and all our servers are based in Germany and Ireland.
• Open source and independently audited – Wire’s code is 100% open source and is regularly reviewed by independent security experts.
• Mobile, tablet, desktop – The conversations and files are always in sync and you don’t need a phone to sign up or log in.
• Voice and video calls – Get a conference call or screen sharing session going with up to 10 people, or jump on a 1:1 video call for some face-to-face time.
• Secure file sharing – Securely send any file from your device, or from a cloud service like Dropbox.
• Easy-to-use – Wire combines maximum security with a great user experience. There's no training required and as many users say “even my grandmother can use it!”
• 2-in-1 – Wire is the first secure messenger that lets you log in with multiple accounts. Easily switch between work and personal conversations.
• Rich conversations – Audio and video messages, GIFs, sketches and likes help to keep the conversation going.
Wire is free for personal use.
More info: wire.com
— Pro account feature: A per conversation setting to get notifications for all messages, only mentions of you, or no notifications at all.
–– Call quality and stability improvements.
–– UI cut off from the bottom when using the 3rd party keyboard.
–– Calling issues on the most recent iOS version.
Ratings and Reviews
Close to being great but needs a few things
Wire is fantastic when it comes to user privacy principles. I love that. My only real complaint is that I wish there was more of a balance between the improvements they do for vid calls vs messaging (voice msging specifically) in their updates. I see a lot of work being done for the call experience, but less elsewhere.
My feeling is that if you’re going to have the other experiences, you should give them attention.
I realize the profit model is on the teams subscription side which I suspect has a lot of video/voice calls, but I’d happily pay a small service fee each month if they fixed just a handful of ux and usability issues with voice/text messaging experience. It’s so close to being amazing....so close.
we know about this issue and the team is working on fixing it.
We're very sorry for the inconvenience in the mean time.
Unusable with long conversations
This app worked well for about a month, but with long conversation history it began to lag. Within the last week or so, messages - especially multiple messages or ones sent as the same time as the receiver sends a message - will cause the app to slow significantly, delaying delivery of messages or not sending them at all. The keyboard will lag when typing or not show your input until about 15 seconds later, while completely freezing the screen. I’ve tried restarting my phone, force closing the app, force closing other apps, but nothing seems to work. Love the interface and capabilities of the app, but will be choosing something else until these issues are fixed.
Thanks for flagging. This is an issue we know about, and is in the queue for a fix.
All the best,
Better privacy and features than others
Update: I’m revising my rating from 5 stars to 4 stars. Wire team, please provide the option to register with only an email address from within the mobile app (instead of having to go to the website on a computer and find the email registration option). Also, please improve app launch time, similar to Whatsapp and Signal.
Wire has better privacy than virtually any other messaging app. EVERYTHING is end to end encrypted. Providing access to your contacts info is optional because usernames are used. You can register with an email address on their website or with your phone number in the app.
Wire has virtually every feature a messaging app can have including texting, calling, video calls, group chat, voice messaging, expiring messages, attachments, GIFs, and more. The interface is nice and clean with no ads whatsoever.
I still haven’t found another messaging app with the same combination of privacy and features. This one is a keeper.
thanks for the positive feedback!
Registering with an email address on mobile is something we have planned for the future.
We're constantly working on improving our app and hopefully soon the launch time will be faster.
- Wire Swiss GmbH
- 103.2 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Wire Swiss GmbH
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.