Hydra - Amazing Photography
By Creaceed SPRL
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Hydra offers innovative photo capture technology, and lets you take beautiful pictures even in the most difficult lighting conditions, which makes it a great companion to iOS Camera app.
Hydra captures more light by merging up to 60 frames to make a single high-quality picture (less noise, more highlights/shadows) on iPhone and iPad. Hydra also goes beyond the 8-megapixel sensor limit, with up to 32-megapixel high-resolution images. It uses the latest evolutions of iPhone and iPad camera hardware, as well as the latest camera APIs and GPU rendering technologies.
Hydra provides 5 specific capture modes: HDR, Video-HDR, Lo-light, Zoom, and Hi-res modes.
• Hydra's High Dynamic Range (HDR) mode is based on an alternate method that captures up to 20 images and that is made to handle even the most difficult lighting conditions.
• Video-HDR uses single-image tone mapping and device-specific sensor mode (iPhone 6) to create stunning videos.
• Lo-light mode removes sensor noise by merging together multiple images and amplifying light by a factor of 10 to provide a better image quality.
• Zoom mode uses real-time, super-resolution technique to recreate missing pixels from hand motion, producing 2x and 4x scale factors with more details than the standard digital zooming technique(*).
• Hi-res mode produces up to 32MP images from the regular 8MP camera sensor, providing finer details in captured image(*).
Hydra also features a photo gallery for reviewing images and their metadata, directly linked with built-in iOS photo album, thus avoiding duplicates and allowing to flag as favorites.
(*) recommended for static & distant scenery. Rendering artifacts can occur for scenes with parallax and for moving subjects.
What's New in Version 1.3.3
- Fixed an issue with iPhone 7 / iPhone 7 Plus that could produce black image under extreme lighting conditions (HDR mode).
Great For Zoom/32MP And *Sometimes* HDR
This app uses a wonderful algorithm of stacking photos to create noise-free clarity and then enlarges the result to allow either a 32 MP picture or a very clean 2X or 4X zoom. Although when viewed at the pixel level you can see some minor artifacts and a bit of a plasticy look, the result is still terrific. You will find it helpful to retouch your results with some clarity and/or structure tweaks as the output is somewhat soft. And of course, always shoot using the native camera app with no zoom as back up.
I would love to see the developers provide an option to do all of this with the second camera in the iPhone 7 Plus. It would allow an 8X zoom and would really set this app apart.
The HDR feature in this app runs hot and cold. On some scenes it provides a beautiful broad and dramatic look that looks natural and elegant. On others, the HDR result is horsey and smokey and look horrendous. But I always try it out because you never know what you will get.
I'm not impressed with the other features of this app which are pretty useless. It's low light feature is soft and allows no exposure compensation. And the video HDR bounces around too much with its light levels to be usable.
Still, this app rates five stars because what it does well, it does tremendously well. And no other app is stacking photos for a pretty innovative approach to zooming or super-high resolution. As such I highly recommend this app.
The regular iOS camera software, paired with, for a phone, really top-shelf equipment makes the regular camera TOUGH to beat.
Read the other reviews by actual photographers to understand how all the wizardry works, but be assured that it does.
It draws strength from taking MULTIPLE exposures and then processing them for a single fantastic shot. Make sure the setting for "save all exposures" is set to the off position, or you will quickly use A LOT of memory!
It's strength is also its weakness. Having a camera on your phone is chiefly a convenience. Having a GREAT camera on your phone is a luxury. Needing to spend (what seems to be an interminable amount of..) TIME taking pictures greatly reduces convenience.
But I do construction estimates, and top-flight photography that I always carry with me is.. a necessity!
Super resolution and low-light modes definitely
enhance the details and diminish noise, but they also add color artifacts throughout.
Please add Wide Color Gamut (P3)!
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Jan 12, 2017
- Version: 1.3.3
- Size: 16.6 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Creaceed SPRL
- © 2015 - Creaceed SPRL
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.