By Chaim Gingold
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Discover how our planet works through play! Create volcanoes, sculpt mountains, and control the forces of nature with your fingertips.
Earth Primer defies existing genres, combining aspects of science books, toys, simulations, and games. It is a new kind of interactive experience which joins the guided quality of a book with open ended simulation play.
• App Store Best of 2015 • Best New App • Featured Education App •
"BEAUTIFUL ... ENGAGING ... WELL DESIGNED."
–Kristie Lu Stout | CNN
“EFFORTLESSLY BEAUTIFUL... perfectly...realizes the promise of a truly interactive textbook.”
–John Brownlee | Fast Company
"THE FUTURE OF EDUCATION... sets a high benchmark for what educational apps should be aspiring to."
–Luke Dormehl | Cult of Mac
“INSPIRING ... a reminder that interactive media is a young and undeveloped world itself.”
–Kyle VanHemert | WIRED
“PLAYFUL, child-like, beautifully designed reenvisioning of the book” –IndieCade
“The MOST AWESOME APP EVER for teaching Geomorphology to a young audience”
–Alan Parkinson | Award Winning Teacher
“one of the most deluxe, and memorable educational apps available... AN ABSOLUTE MUST” 5/5
–Trevor Sheridan | Apple n Apps
“A TOUR DE FORCE” –Bret Victor
"This is much more than a toy. It is a catalyst for thinking about our world. ... TRULY A JOY."
–Samuel Arbesman | WIRED
"I want every book to be this awesome. ...ABSOLUTELY WORTH EVERY CENT."
–Owen Williams | The Next Web
• Discover how Earth works through play.
• The forces of nature are at your fingertips—make volcanoes, shape sand dunes, form glaciers, sculpt mountains, push around tectonic plates, paint with wind, heat up magma—and more!
• 20 different tools to unlock.
• Richly interactive geological simulations.
• Five chapters: Earth's Interior, Surface, Water Cycle, Biomes, and Sandbox.
• Sandbox mode.
What's New in Version 1.0.3
- iPad Pro support
- Fixed iPad Air graphics glitch (rift shader)
- Minor usability improvement (Back button easier to hit)
- Potential crash bug fix
- 64-bit support
- Thank you for purchasing and supporting Earth Primer! If you're a fan, please consider leaving a rating or review — it helps a lot!
A new kind of book!
Wow. This is so cool! I read about this App on Wired and decided to check it out. Well, I've never had an interest in geology, honestly, but learning about Earth by playing with simulated, volcanoes, mountains, dunes and glaciers is so cool that I'm learning about geology simply because Earth Primer so fun.. It makes me wish there were more things I could learn in this way!
BUY THIS. WOW. This would be worth every single penny even if it was $20. I've never in my life seen something so educational so incredibly well designed in both presentation and execution. Absolutely incredible. 17 out of 10. I truly hope to see more in the future.
The best feature is the "sandbox," which lets you manipulate a piece of earth and ocean; you can raise mountains, bring rivers and glaciers to the sea, shift global temperatures and watch as plateaus desertify or rainforests move to the coast. There's endless variation. I wish there were more apps like this. Also, the soundtrack is wonderful.