Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
iTunes U is the best way to create and experience courses on iPad. The iTunes U app gives you access to complete courses from leading universities and other schools — plus the world’s largest digital catalog of free education content — right on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. Whether you’re majoring in molecular biology at a university, taking Spanish in high school, or just interested in European history, you now have a valuable tool to help you learn anytime, anywhere.
Let the discussion begin
• Students participating in private courses can pose questions on the course or any post or assignment
• Other students in the class can jump into the discussion and ask more questions or provide answers
• Teachers and students can keep up with the conversation when they receive push notifications as the discussion progresses
Free courses in a wide array of subjects
• Take free courses created and taught by instructors from leading universities and other schools
• See all assignments and updates from the instructor in one place, and check off assignments as you complete them
• Take notes and highlight text in iBooks and see them consolidated for easy reviewing in the iTunes U app
• Take course notes in class, or while playing audio or video lectures inside of iTunes U
• Access course materials, including audio, video, books, documents & presentations, apps, and iBooks textbooks
• Share your favorite courses with friends using Twitter, Facebook, Mail, and Messages
The world’s largest catalog of free education content
• Choose from more than 750,000 free lectures, videos, books, and other resources on thousands of subjects from Algebra to Zoology
• Browse collections from education and cultural institutions in 30 countries — including Stanford, Yale, MIT, Oxford, LaTrobe University, University of Tokyo, MoMA, the New York Public Library, and the Library of Congress
Create courses on iPad
• Teachers can now create and update their courses using the iTunes U app on their iPad—getting started is fast, simple, and completely free
• Provide every student a course outline, write posts, distribute assignments, upload class materials, easily track participating students, and much more
• Take advantage of the built in camera on iPad to easily capture photos or videos and upload them for course assignments
• Create materials using Pages, Numbers, and Keynote—or other apps from the App Store—and add them to your course by using "Open in iTunes U" from within each app
• Teachers affiliated with qualified institutions have the option to publish their courses to the iTunes U Catalog—making them available to everyone for free
• Participating in courses require iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 7 or later
• Creating courses require iPad with iOS 7 or later
• An Apple ID set up for use on the iTunes Store
• iTunes 10.5.2 or later is required to sync with a computer
What's New in Version 2.1.1
This update includes minor stability and performance improvements.
Full-featured, but forgets your place!
This app very nicely organizes materials and provides a host of features for the user. It would be much-improved if it remembered where a user left off. Unfortunately, every time you close the app for an extended period, you must start again at the beginning: digging into your selected class, lesson, material—and in the case of video, scrubbing to where you left off. Because it doesn't remember your place in a downloaded video. How was this overlooked? It's baffling considering that in Apple's other apps, videos DO remember your place. If this is corrected, the app truly deserves 5 stars. Until then—4, because it needlessly wastes a user's time day in and day out.
iPad only courses not clearly indicated.
Although I also have a MacBook Pro, I finally decided to check out this app on my iPhone 6+ because that is more readily available. After checking out the catalog for quite a while, I happened to pick a course which requires an iBook text that is only available for download on an iPad. (Really?? How many Apple products do I need to own?) This platform limitation was not indicated anywhere in the title, description, or even in the course syllabus. It's too painful going through the catalog and the course information to ultimately be disappointed in this way. I'll be looking for more positive reviews of this app before I try again.
A few bugs still
I can't say enough how great it is to have this free content. Thank you! Please fix a few minor time-wasting bugs. The app forgets where you left off, both in the outline view and where you were in watching a video. The blue dot indicating watched/new is buggy too. These seem like they should be easy fixes, given how Apple's other apps handle marking and remembering your progress.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jan 27, 2015
- Version: 2.1.1
- Size: 30.1 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Apple Inc.
- © 2015 Apple Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.