The Chimani Joshua Tree National Park app boasts rich, detailed information on the iconic trees, rock formations, diverse desert wildlife, and other natural wonders of this southern California national park, including:
• expert-written details on more than 175 unique points of interest (POIs)
• a professionally voiced audio-guided auto tour
• GPS-enabled maps that work without a cell/wifi connection and can be custom edited and annotated
• calendar of Ranger-led events
• sunrise/sunsets times and top viewing locations
• photo gallery with more than 150 park images
• descriptions of more than 25 hiking trails
• information on museums, restrooms, picnicking, in-park transportation, bicycling, and other in-park activities
• "Where Am I?" locator function for the entire park (note: does not work on non-GPS enabled devices)
Other features include:
• Easy-to-use interface with menus based on universal national park symbols.
• Push notifications for park-related news, alerts, and events.
• Lightning-fast search engine to quickly find information.
• Tag your favorite park sights.
• Collect points and earn badges for visiting parks and points of interest.
For more details on this and other Chimani apps for the national parks, visit www.chimani.com. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/chimani and Facebook at www.facebook.com/chimani
*** This app requires an initial Internet connection to download photos (either Wifi or cellular). ***
This is our last update of this app. We are moving all content and functionality over to our main app - National Parks by Chimani.
Ratings and Reviews
Good app, feature-rich, good maps, overly complicated
Make sure you download the trail maps that you want to use while on wifi. Choose the high resolution versions. You seem to have to do this step for each trail, which is a pain. Look for the ellipse button when looking at a trail map.
Overall, this was the best free app I could find. But it is complicated to use. It's an app you download and try the day before your trip, not 10 minutes before you enter the park.
Maps are not useful
So I tried most the app and it's pretty good but the one reason I downloaded it was for its maps and POI. The map is useless as you can't zoom it out passed a certain boundary. There are POI and trails that I can't see on the outer edges of the park because the map won't let me zoom out. Been like this for a while, really hope they fix it as, for me, this is the best feature this app provides. Right now it's not very useful.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.