Joy of Cooking, the first cookbook in many kitchens, is now the must-have app for every cook—experts and beginners alike. Containing the entire contents of the latest edition of the bestselling and best-loved, 1,132-page book, the app is a treasury of recipes, reference materials, and special features that make planning and cooking easier than ever.
Here’s some of what you’ll find in the app:
• Universal app supports both iPhone and iPad.
• High resolution graphics and full HD resolution support for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
• Thousands of recipes and reference materials cover everything from enchiladas to lemon meringue pie.
• All materials are included in the app. No internet access is required.
• Pre-set digital timers enable you to get each recipe just right.
• Let the app speak each step aloud so you can concentrate on cooking, rather than reading.
• Navigate each recipe with simple voice commands. No need to touch the screen with sticky fingers!
• Thousands of photos and illustrations leave nothing to interpretation.
• Built-in menu-maker allows you to create a menu and use it to navigate among recipes while you cook; you can even print it out or email it to your guests.
• Joy of Cooking classic red bookmarks help you keep track of several recipes at once.
• The Favorites list lets you store recipes that you want to cook again and again.
• Shopping lists can be created easily from one or more recipes.
• The Sleep-Block feature prevents your iPad from sleeping when you just want to cook.
• A switch to enable metric units can adapt recipes to your preference.
• A built-in conversion calculator makes it easy to substitute just about anything. Want to know how many teaspoons are in a half-cup? That answer, and many others, is just a few taps away.
• A smart search page, with easy-to-set filters, gets you results fast.
• One-tap help overlays make the app’s features easy to discover.
• Email or print any recipe for easy reference when you don’t have the app.
• Easily share what you’re cooking via social media so your friends can try to keep up.
• A handy notes page on each recipe lets you file away your own customizations for later reference.
Over the years, you’ve come to expect high-quality cooking advice and recipes from the Joy of Cooking cookbook. Now you can expect the same level of satisfaction from the app.
• • •
Praise for the Joy of Cooking app:
“As in the book, the fire hose of information — how to frost a cake, make salt-cured lemons, field-dress a gut-shot animal — is overwhelming, but the digital design makes it easier to navigate through 4,500 recipes and numberless tips.”
— Julia Moskin, The New York Times
“@TheJoyOfCooking’s new iPad app might be the best thing to happen to home cooking since…the cast iron pan?”
— Samin Nosrat, Author of SALT, FAT, ACID, HEAT; via Twitter
“One of the things I love about this app is that it helps bring recipes to my attention that I’ve passed over in the print versions.”
— Marisa McClellan, Food in Jars
• • •
Praise for the Joy of Cooking cookbook:
“I’m … a ‘Joy’ fan no matter the edition: Every recipe is written in the book’s unmistakable style, with ingredients and amounts seamlessly integrated into the instructions. For me, this is still the quintessential American cookbook.”
— Alton Brown
“The … narrative of Joy is one of, well, joy. Its recipes will prompt readers to bound into the kitchen; their range and depth is such that there really is something for everyone.”
— Publisher’s Weekly
“The Swiss Army knife of cookbooks.”
— The New York Times
• Fixes an issue that can cause the app to crash when displaying metric units
• Improves animation of the recipe context sidebar on iPads
Ratings and Reviews
This app is the perfect companion to the physical book. I can have my old stain covered and well seasoned book on the counter next to me while the app tells me what to put in my goulash and when. I can go shopping for what I need and it makes a list based on what options in the recipe I’ve chosen. If I want walnuts in my banana bread recipe, I tap the option and when I create my shopping list it’s included.
The sheer ease of this application marries the modern generation of cooking with the physical “Kitchen Bible” that is Joy of Cooking. I can send recipes to friends, show off my creations to friends, and share my love of cooking with the world even further than before. I cannot recommend this app enough.
6/5, 11/10, 101%
Great book, now a greater app
Even better than my hand me down 1957 print version, which has become more stained since I've had it.
What I liked most about the book was its rich treatise's on food and cooking. I was just out of the Marine's and attending college when Mom said, "you need to learn how to cook." That book did just that by teaching me the basic stuff of cooking.
This guy, at 59, likes basic recipes using fresh un-canned ingredients. My old joy of cooking was just that, since the trend of using cream of mushroom soup in everything wasn't popular yet. This app has maintained this tradition.
When I searched for borscht today, I was thrilled to find the old "everything done by hand" version along with new everything comes out of a can recipes. For myself, I'll stick with the old timer versions.
For those of us in a super hurry, you have many modern recipes to choose from.
I’ve been waiting for this!!
As a long-time fan of Joy of Cooking I’ve destroyed more than 1 copy.
My current copy is literally in pieces — the spine separated several years ago somewhere around page 870 — and is now in 4 or 5 ‘chunks’, pages rippled from being wet, covered in stains and now-illegible margin notes, scribbles on the fly-leaves...all the worse for wear.
Luckily my family knows what a fan of the Joy and I also have a gorgeous (and unused) first edition and several editions from the 30s and 40s. Joy is my first stop for any recipe development.
Years ago I purchased Joy on a CD and was disappointed when operating systems outgrew the disc. I’m so happy to have a new digital edition today.
Thanks for making this available in a format that won’t get stained or tattered.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.