Kindle – Read Books, eBooks, Magazines, Newspapers & Textbooks
By AMZN Mobile LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Kindle app is optimized for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, giving users the ability to read Kindle books, newspapers, magazines, textbooks and PDFs on a beautiful, easy-to-use interface. You’ll have access to over 1,000,000* books in the Kindle Store plus hundreds* of newspapers and magazines. Amazon Whispersync automatically syncs your last page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across devices (including Kindle), so you can pick up your book where you left off on another device.
Get the best reading experience available on your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch:
• Shop the Kindle Store by visiting Amazon for the largest selection of books people want to read: millions of books, including hundreds of thousands of titles that are exclusive to the Kindle Store and over 1.7 million titles that are $9.99 or less.
• Get free book samples – read the first chapter free before you decide to buy via Kindle Free Sample Search.
• Customize your reading experience by choosing margin size, line spacing, background color, font size, font style, and either portrait or landscape format.
• Tap and hold text to quickly highlight important sections, easily edit or change highlight colors, and select long passages that span multiple pages.
• Exclusive to Kindle, X-Ray lets you see the “bones of the book” and learn more about notable characters, places, and phrases with descriptions from Shelfari and Wikipedia. (English Titles Only)
• Collections: Easily categorize books, docs, and magazines with a few, easy taps.
• Instant dictionary word lookup with 250,000 entries and definitions. Tap and hold a word to view the definition. You can also use previously purchased Dictionaries, such as medical, legal, or other translation references.
• Search inside the book to find a character, topic, or section you want to revisit.
• Simply tap on either side of the screen or flick to turn pages.
• You can also read your Kindle books on your Kindle e-reader, Kindle Fire, PC, Mac, Android-based device, Windows Phone 8-based device, or in your web browser with Kindle Cloud Reader. Our Whispersync technology syncs your last page read, notes, bookmarks, and highlights across devices, so you can pick up where you left off.
• Read hundreds* of newspapers and magazines including The Economist, Reader’s Digest, Martha Stewart Living, and Food Network Magazine with high resolution color images. Visit the Kindle Store to subscribe to a newspaper or magazine and have each edition automatically delivered, or purchase individual issues.
• Email PDFs & other documents to your new Send-to-Kindle e-mail address and we deliver them to your device. The documents are automatically archived in the Amazon Cloud and available for re-download on your iOS or supported Kindle devices. You can also read PDFs from Mail, Safari, or by transferring them from iTunes.
• With Kindle textbooks you save up to 60% off print list prices when you buy, and up to 80% when you rent. Use the Notebook in your Print Replica textbooks to review your bookmarks, highlights, notes. Tag and filter the most important items to study.
• Accessibility features make it easier for blind and visually impaired customers to navigate their Kindle libraries, read & interact with books, and more. Enable VoiceOver in your device settings to begin. A quick reference to gestures can be found under the FAQ section in settings.
* Selection and price of books and periodicals in the Kindle Store may vary by country.
What's New in Version 4.1.2
Performance and Stability Improvements
Hands-down the best reading app I've seen!
I downloaded this because I recently got a kindle paper white, and although this is no paper white (because I downloaded this app onto my iPhone), it's pretty darn close! I always prefer to keep my electronics to a low brightness, and even if I have the brightness at the lowest on my iPhone, there is an option within the kindle app to lower it even further. This makes it ideal for night time reading, for those nights when you just can't fall asleep. The reading screen is clean and beautiful compared to other apps like iBooks or overdrive. Fonts are obviously changeable, and there are the options of white, sepia, and nighttime, an option I actually wish was on my paper white! As long as your devices are connected to the Internet, your reading place syncs between devices. Overall, the brightness feature and the clean simple interface really stand out to me, and make this app a must-have.
Visually, there is no reading app more enjoyable. A number of fonts to chose from, the ability to adjust font size, line height, and margins all separate from each other should be a mandatory requirement from Apple when building reading apps and Kindle is the only one that actually does.
A few things don't work the greatest, like collections not carrying over the cloud to other devices or Kindle apps, but at least they are available on individual devices.
Also, not being able to arrange files within a collection is irritating.
Personal docs work great in this app but not being available for the desktop app is annoying.
I also preferred the original layout with the tabs on top to jump back and forth from books, to documents, to collections, to newsstand, etc. It was just a lot easier.
Excellent for reading
I never touched an app like this until I realized that digital books are cheaper when you're going to school.
I've used this app for several of my college textbooks and it's been smooth sailing. Importing books and other documents was also easy, with larger files taking more time (as expected).
Chapter and header lines import great, and allow for quick skipping through. (Just make sure the book or doc already has headings and chapter markers; not all of them do.)
For people who like highlighting , this app might be your downfall. As far as I know, I haven't found any sort of highlighting feature or annotation option, which limits this app's abilities for students or editors.
I would recommend this app for people who are avid or leisure readers, as well as broke college students who prefer digital books.
- Category: Books
- Updated: Feb 04, 2014
- Version: 4.1.2
- Size: 22.6 MB
- Languages: English, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish
- Seller: AMZN Mobile LLC
- © 2009-2013 Amazon.com, Inc. or its Affiliates.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.