The Kindle app gives users the ability to read eBooks on a beautiful, easy-to-use interface. You may also read your book on your phone, tablet and Kindle e-Reader, and Amazon Whispersync will automatically sync your most recent page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights, so you can pick up right where you left off.
What you’ll get:
• Sample any eBook for free
• Discover and download popular fiction, graphic novels and textbooks with high-res color images through direct purchase and Kindle Unlimited subscriptions.
• A customizable reading experience with your choice of 10 fonts, font size, line-spacing, text alignment and more
• Unique features like X-Ray, Whispersync, Print Replica, flashcards and more
• Instant definitions without leaving the page
• Comfortable reading experience with adjustable screen brightness and page color
• Ability to make in-page highlights
• Access to local library eBooks
• Support for Text-to-Speech on devices running Mac OS X 10.10 or above.
New: Supports reading with Split View on devices running Mac OS X 10.11 or above.
Kindle for Mac 1.23.2: This update includes stability improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Functional but flawed
This is written in from the perspective of a 2018 MacBook Pro 15 inch. As far as I can tell the app works mostly as intended. The app hasn’t crashed on my yet and I’ve yet to have issues with any of the books I’ve opened. However I’ve noticed something mildly annoying about the highlighting system… So it seems like I’ve discovered a bug that happens when I use a mouse (Logitech Anywhere 2S Mouse) but functions perfectly fine if I use the trackpad. To elaborate in order to highlight something you hold your mouse down until the word is selected and in order to highlight a selection of text like a sentence or paragraph you just drag from the selected region to the end point. However, rather than having an event to finish the highlight when you let go of the mouse… it decides to only highlight within a time frame of about a second… Which means if I want to highlight a large selection of text I have to try and highlight as fast as I can and try to be accurate at the same time… It’s pretty annoying and hopefully will be fixed in future updates.
Not all the features of a Kindle, but pretty good
I have this app on both the Mac and iPad and while it doesn’t have 100% of the functionality of an actual Kindle, it does everything I need. I can open and read my books and documents without issue. The two features that are missing that I’d like are the useof foreign language dictionaries and the ability to have the app read books that are just text. Occasionally, I like to read French literature in French because, well, it’s usually better in French. My French is a little rusty, so I bought a French to English dictionary. On the Kindle, if there is a word I don’t know, I can just touch on that word and instantly get the definition from my French to English dictionary. It happens automatically. With the Kindle App, however, there’s a lot of hassle and the need to download a Google dictionary of some kind. The other thing I like about the original Kindle is the ability to have it read documents that are just text. Sure, the voice is a bit robotic but sometimes it’s very practical.
- AMZN Mobile LLC
- 134.9 MB
- OS X 10.9 or later
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2009-2018 Amazon.com, Inc. or its Affiliates.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.