Over 95,000 translations • Based on Lewis and Short's classic 1879 Latin-English dictionary. • No internet connection required
"For serious language students and translators who are looking for more precision." - The New York Times
Featured by Apple as "What's Hot"
Ultralingua makes apps for people who love languages. You can count on our Latin-English dictionary to provide all the content you need, along with extra features that help you get the most out of the dictionary. Use our number translator to convert numerals into Latin or English text instantly.
• Over 30,000 entries with 95,000 translations
• Tap-and-hold any word or phrase and choose "Speak" from the popup menu to hear that word spoken using Apple's built-in text-to-speech feature.
• Noun genders
• Slang, technical language, and regional differences in spelling and usage
• Smart search results in case you misspell or mistype
• Search-as-you-go displays words and narrows your selection as you type
• Conjugations for thousands of Latin and English verbs
• Includes all standard tenses and forms
• Smart search finds root words and catches misspellings
• Must-have reference tool for any student or language professional
• Conjugate a verb from the dictionary results by tapping it
• Translate numerals into Latin and English text with the number tool
• Language swapper button to switch from Latin-English to English-Latin
• Tap the history button to view the 50 most recent dictionary definitions, verb conjugations, and more in one place. Sort the list alphabetically or by date, and choose to clear the list completely or delete one entry at a time.
• No internet connection required
• Change your device settings to view the app display in English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, or German
"Very handy dictionary!" -User review
View our reviews below to see why users love this app, and remember to let us know what you think!
This universal app will run on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, so you can purchase it once and load it onto all your devices. The iPad and iPhone/iPod touch versions look and behave differently to give you a great experience on every device you own. The interface will change, but you’ll always have the same outstanding language data and tools inside.
Dictionaries are available from Ultralingua for many languages, including combinations of English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, German, and more. See what else we have to offer by searching for Ultralingua in the App Store.
Follow us on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook for app news, language learning tips, and more:
• Updated for iOS 11 and iPhone X
• Data improvements
• Small bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
I really like this app. I cannot pretend to any great expertise in Latin dictionaries. But I like this one because it identifies words if you give any of the many forms of the word. Latin, of course, has endings which can multiply the forms to a bewildering number. And sometimes there are forms that are just unrecognizable by a humble student such as myself. I recently, for example came across the term "lautus erit" in Familia Romana chapter XXX. I could not figure it out. But this app got me to the future perfect passive form of the term for wash. I had puzzled over that for days before I finally broke down and consulted this app. It got me there in moments.
So I recommend it.
Could not even find the word They in this dictionary, let alone a translation.
Not as great as other Ultralingua dictionaries!
I was initially excited to see a Latin dictionary on IPhone, but ended up dissapointed. I own two other Ultralingua dictionaries (Italian and French) and am satisfied with those. I expected that this dictionary would come with the conjugation as others that I have bought, but unfortunately it does not. The conjugation on verbs and additional noun declensions would be a great addition to this app. Without those features, I find it hard to justify the money that I spent and thus the 2 stars rating. Once they have implemented the features, I will upgrade the review.
- Ultralingua, Inc.
- 21.7 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Ultralingua, Inc. 2018
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.