Learning Japanese has never been so easy and fun! Join Tako in an adventure in which you'll learn to write and read Japanese.
Through guided lessons, you'll learn to write hiragana, katakana and over 100 kanji correctly, as well as their perfect pronunciation recorded by Japanese teachers.
Thanks to its elaborate writing system, you'll be able to learn stroke by stroke and in the correct order how to draw each character with a perfect calligraphy. This system will rate your stroke and correct you if you make a mistake.
Practice each hiragana, katana or kanji individually in the Study mode and have a good time with fun minigames while you refresh all you have learned.
• Learn to write and read all the hiragana, katakana and kanji corresponding to the N5 level of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT).
• Useful for those who want to learn from zero and for those who want to refresh their basic knowledge of the Japanese language.
• Play mode: where you'll learn through 88 guided lessons more than 300 characters, including hiragana, katakana and kanji.
• Study mode: where you'll be able to review and practice without pressure as many times as you want. Check your stats and follow your progress.
• Minigame mode: show what you've learned in varied and fun minigames.
• Learn the on'yomi and kun'yomi readings and the meanings of over 100 kanji.
• Future updates will include new minigames, new modes, new kanji... and more surprises!
Don't miss out on the last news on Learn Japanese with Tako:
• Web: http://www.giantsoul.com/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/TakosJapanese
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TakosJapanese
- Fixed kanji "午" showing as "牛"
- Fixed katakana "ヒ"
- Some dialogs were wrong
- Small performance optimization
Ratings and Reviews
Repetitive, no vocabulary
The mini games get repetitive pretty quickly. If you're looking to actually looking to LEARN Japanese, this is not the app for you. It teaches you to read and write characters, but it doesn't teach you any real words to apply the knowledge (at least, not during the Hiragana phase, not sure beyond that yet).
It's also irritating when you're writing during the 15 second challenges because if you get a character even slightly wrong, or if you're stylus skips, you lose points and the teacher gets really angry looking for far too long, which is not conducive to learning.
Overall I enjoy the game, and I will continue playing it because I spent money on it and it is structured to learn N5 and N4 Kanji, but I wish there were more variety to the mini-games, maybe a sprinkling of vocab (maybe even a phrase or two!), and more built-in reinforcement for how to write the characters in each lesson.
So far I like it
This is a little tedious for me, because I am not a Japanese beginner. I have known kana for a long time, and I wish there was a “test out” option for it, but i don’t mind a little knowledge reinforcement. I do really like the games and the method! The writing recognition is a tad finicky, but such is all tablet/phone games with the recognition so I’m not mad at it. Overall so far I think it’s fun and good. Will update after more playing time, but as for now, it is for sure well worth the few dollars!
Overall I like it. The writing recognition can be a bit finicky. The mini games are timed and a bit stressful because of it in my opinion but crashing and burning is a good way to really know if you something I guess. The teacher will also growl at you and do a “face palm” if you mess up during the lessons. I’m just a beginner cut me some slack?? Wish the game was more encouraging and forgiving that way. But overall it is a fun way to lightly study on the go.
- Grogshot Games, S.L.
- 101.3 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Grogshot Games, S.L.
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.