Legi is a powerful RSS Feed Reader with speech output, "smart playlists", fulltext reader mode, offline mode etc. for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.
A RSS Feed reader lets you read blog articles, magazines and news sites much easier and much more comfortable than with a normal web browser. The App lets you subscribe and organize your news feeds, which will be updated fully automatically, so you always have the latest news available within the App. All articles will presented for a comfortable reading experience, but of course the original web view is also available.
Legi is special among RSS readers, because it has a speech output feature. This means the App can read all articles aloud when you can not read these yourself, for example when driving a car, while doing sports and for many other activities where you can't look on your device. The App has a full-featured audio player for the speech output (Play/Pause, skip back/forward, a timeline etc.) which works similar to the one of a music player App. Of course, all remote controls for music (the one from the control center, headphones, or Apple Watch) will work for Legi as well, so Legi can be in the Background as well.
The full text of all articles will be presented in a comfortable reading mode, for which you can configure colors, fonts, text size etc. to match your own requirements.
An offline mode makes it possible to read all articles even if no internet connection is available. In addition the App lets you configure when and under which conditions the data is loaded, so you can load most or all of the data using WiFi and less or no data in mobile networks to avoid traffic.
You can also create "smart playlists" to categorize and organize articles independently of the feeds.
Several 3rd-party services to manage your feeds are supported as well:
- Feed HQ, FeedBlur
- The Old Reader
Also feeds can be saved as favorites, you can export or import your feeds via OPML, you can share articles using the ShareSheet and much more.
- Legi is able to use the notification center to inform you about new articles. In order to let Legi send notifications, you need to define rules just like you would do for the "smart playlist" feature. These rules are used to identify articles you want to be informed about. This feature is useful if you want to be informed about a specific topic which you don't want to miss. You only need to define rules for specific keywords, feeds etc, and the App will then check the feeds when they are updated if there are articles matching these rules and will send notifications if it finds some. You ca define rules for the notifications in the "Playlist" section by tapping on the "+" and then on "Notification". The rules include an option for the maximum number of notifications send per feed update and an option to decide wether the notification should only be send when the App is in the background or also when it is actively used in the foreground.
- There's a new option in the settings to remember the position of the speech output individually for each article. This makes it possible that you pause the speech output of one article, listen to another and later come back to the first and continue where you left off..
- On devices with 3D-Touch feature the App provides a preview of an article if you deep-press on an item in one of the article lists.
- The large audio player window provides a new "Sleep timer". If you tap on the new "Moon" Icon, you can set a time interval after which the App will stop the speech output and "goes to sleep". This can be useful if you want to listen to some articles when you go to bed and want to make sure that the App won't speak all night when you are already asleep.
- When iCloud sync is enabled the App will also sync the playlists via iCloud.
- There's a new option in the settings which allows to display the title for an article with more than one line in the articles list, similar to the option for the description of the articles.
- The external service "Fever" will be supported as well. Important: "Fever" does not support to add or remove feeds within an App, you need to visit the web interface of this service if you want to do this. Also "Fever" does not support to just update a single feed, you can only update all feeds at once. This is not a restriction of Legi, it's one of "Fever".
- Some missing labels for user interface elements were added for VoiceOver users.
- In the web view of an article links which were supposed to open in a new window did not work.
- The parser for the full text was improved so it will work better with faulty HTML code.
- In case the full text could not be retrieved for an article, the speech output failed. Now the App will speak the summary from the feed instead.
Ratings and Reviews
The audio is a unique and useful feature.
Search is helpful as well.
I’d like to see an option for removing the icon by the title to allow for more of the title to appear.
I would also like to see landscape mode.
This app could turn out to be one of the best rss feeders for those of us that don’t use feed services.
- Alexander Clauss
- 4.1 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, German
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2018, Alexander Clauss
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.