lichess • Online Chess
By thibault duplessis
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Built for the love of chess, this app is open source and free for all.
- 150 000 individual users daily and growing fast.
- Play bullet, blitz, classical, and correspondence chess
- Play in arena tournaments
- Find, follow, challenge players
- See your games stats
- Practice with chess puzzles
- Many variants, available online and offline: Crazyhouse, Chess 960, King Of The Hill, Three-check, Antichess, Atomic chess, Horde, Racing Kings!
- Game analysis with local computer evaluation
- Server computer analysis with move annotations and game summary
- Opening explorer
- Play against offline computer
- Over The Board mode to play offline with a friend
- Standalone chess clock with multiple time settings
- Board editor
- Available in 80 languages
- Designed for both phones and tablets, supporting landscape mode
- 100% free, without ads, and opensource!
Chess variants are supported! Try them all:
- Crazyhouse: every time a piece is captured the capturing player gets a piece of the same type and of their color in their pocket.
- Chess960: pieces on the home rank are randomised.
- King Of The Hill: bring your king to the center to win.
- Threecheck: check the opponent king three times.
- Antichess: lose all your pieces to win.
- Atomic Chess: nuke the opponent.
- Horde: destroy the horde to win.
- Racing Kings: Race your king to the eighth rank to win.
Just like http://lichess.org, this application is open source, and respects user freedom. It is entirely free and without ads, now and forever.
Learn more about lichess philosophy: http://lichess.org/blog/U4skkUQAAEAAhIGz/why-is-lichess-free
Source code of the mobile application: https://github.com/veloce/lichobile
Source code of the website and server: https://github.com/ornicar/lila
Donations help keep the servers alive: http://lichess.org/donate
Big thanks to the volunteers behind this app:
- Vincent Velociter (lead dev) https://github.com/veloce
- Renaud Bressand (design) https://twitter.com/RenaudBressand
- Thibault Duplessis (dev) https://github.com/ornicar
- Sebastien Renault (dev of stockfish plugin) https://github.com/srenault
- Mark Henle (dev) https://github.com/freefal
Check out the app page on http://lichess.org/mobile, and follow us on twitter for updates: https://twitter.com/lichessorg
What's New in Version 5.3.0
New features and improvements:
- iPhone X support
- new home page: find game quickly and see featured tournaments
- OTB game now has an integrated clock
- new piece set 'riohacha'
- Rapid time control
- keep puzzle finished state when going back to puzzle from analysis
- remove premove alerts
- highlight user title in user profile
- fixed broken tournament creation
- fixed stockfish skill much too strong for low levels
- fixed loading preferred language based on device settings
- reduced correspondence clock size too big with some languages
- put back notes access in analysis
Great app but...
The new update ruined puzzles. Now you only get one try before it automatically reveals the answer to you instead of letting you figure it out and learn for yourself. No idea why they would “fix” something that needed no repair.
Update 5.3.0 👍👍
Wow what a difference with the training puzzles! Great job! Much more user friendly
Best chess app available
I use Lichess daily, and I appreciate its existence on my phone