Aa word processor with powerful tools which are fast and natural to use, giving you greater control of your writing process and quick-citation support to give your work more credibility.
• Quick Citation Creation & Check. Select text and cmd-T to add citations including automatic meta-information generation from books, web and YouTube videos.
• Instant Outline. Pinch to collapse the text using your trackpad to see just the headings.
• Supports images with complete citation information.
• Read/Edit Modes for specific interactions to make both modes more powerful and pleasant, such as spacebar to move down a screen in Read mode or select text and spacebar to have the text spoken.
• Warm background to reduce eye strain for Edit/Writing mode. Note that in full screen mode your eyes will quite quickly adjust to the cast so you will enjoy the benefit without really noticing anything different.
• If you only want to see sentences with a specific keyword, select the keyword cmd-f to hide all the sentences which do not have the keyword will be hidden. Click on a sentence to jump to it, cmd-f again or ESC to return to the regular view. cmd-G to do it aGain.
•All commands have easy to remember keyboard shortcuts and you can ctrl-click on text to check what options are available, such as cmd-1,2,3,4,5 to turn the text into headings.
• Only The Controls You Need, No Distractions. cmd- / cmd+ to scale all the text, you cannot change the size, colour or font of specific text in Author, only make it bold and italic, since Author is a writing application, not a layout application so therefore gives you less things to unproductively fiddle with.
• Modern Architecture including auto saving and everything else you would expect from a modern, native macOS application including iCloud Drive (sync with Author iOS in the future).
• ESC to go into and out of full screen, which seems like a detail but is very helpful when going between focused writing and interacting with many documents.
• Export to Plain Text, RTF, Word and PDF with automatic appending of citations in a References/Bibliography section at the end of the document with choice of citations being presented in brackets or with superscript (In-App-Upgrade).
• Integrated with the Liquid | Flow companion utility. Includes Search, References, Conversions, Translations and Share to WordPress and Medium and more. Select text and ctrl-click or fast keyboard shortcut to activate.
Please feel free to contact me with questions, suggestions and of course, bug reports directly to me: email@example.com https://twitter.com/liquidizer
Many smaller polishes including making the Read and Edit modes visually distinct.
Ratings and Reviews
Truly powerful new approach to text
Author is a truly new concept in writing. Following the lead of pioneers like Doug Engelbart and Ted Nelson (if you don’t know who these people are, you need to do some research!) this is a powerful tool that requires some learning. Do watch the videos to understand the concepts that are implemented in Author. You will soon learn to leverage these features and concepts and will wonder how you lived without them!
Designing a tool like Author is a delicate balance—how to implement the features with a holistic and clean approach such that the software doesn’t get in your way. Compare with large and complex systems like Word and you will find Author a breath of fresh air!
I’ve been working in software and user experience for over 40 years and an application like this does not come along often. I also don’t write many reviews—most software isn’t worth reviewing. Try it, spend some time, and you will be rewarded :-)
Thank you very much indeed eastern sierra! You are completely right that this work is inspired by Doug (the name Author is an homage to his Augment system) and Ted's work has inspired the non-linearity we are working on. This is only the beginning... :-)
Like the concept, but buggy
I looked at the videos on the developers web site and thought this app was worth a try, but unfortunately it appears to be buggy. Right off the bat I’ve been unable to set a heading. I follow the directions and nothing happens! Also, the back ground color is supposed to change between Edit and Read modes, but it just stays the same. I’ve found these two issues in just a couple of minutes. Hopefully the developer will fix these issues (and any others lurking within). If so, I think this app has a lot of promise.
Update: Indeed, the issue with the heading setting was fixed with the new update. Still trying the app out, so I’m only giving it three stars for now. I’ll be back to update again after more use.
Hi, we have released new versions. Would you like to try again? We are listening. Contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you like.
The importance of the written word
I write. I write critical papers, essays, poems, short stories, and on occasion I have been known to jot down a grocery list and send my mother a birthday card. The written word is so common that what you are reading is actually an example.
Amalgamating current software technologies and tools, Liquid|Author brings to the user a complex system designed to enhance the simplicity of the common written word, whether writing an Academic Thesis, or writing to your mother asking her for money.
The beauty and usefulness of this deceptively simple software is in the flow. I’ve never experienced anything like this. And, by golly, the price seems a joke; I’ve bought other written software which kept me searching for something else which felt whole and complete.
I don’t know you, and I think you’ll enjoy, as have I, Liquid|Author. And I recommend it as I would encourage you to enjoy Van Gough’s Starry Night. Liquid|Author is a work of art.
Thank you very much, much appreciated.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.