MapQuest: Free Navigation, GPS, Maps & Traffic
By AOL Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Tired of referencing multiple apps to help you determine the best way to get from Point A to Point B? Our new Compare simplifies your life by solving for the Mobile-Multitasking Madness to help you find the best mode of transportation based on the time of day, cost, situation, weather, and more!
We’ve integrated multiple modes of transportation, including Uber and car2go* nationwide and transit** in select cities. In addition, avoid the rubber-necking and route around accidents, plan multi-stop trips, and tap into advanced routing capabilities-- including alternate routes. With a recognizable “Map” icon, robust bookmarking options, and handy sharing features, navigation convenience is just a tap away. Whether you’re running a quick errand or taking a road trip, MapQuest's live maps and traffic updates and GPS and voice navigation, give you the trusted directions and traffic info you need.
With the MapQuest App, you can:
• Forget the app balancing act. Use the Compare feature to see a variety of transportation options, including Uber, car2go* and local transit to help you determine the best available option.
• Traffic a bit crazy? Check your local transit** or use it as an excuse to walk off some of those pesky calories.
• Time is money. That’s why we’ve made it easy to sort your results to get the quickest and/or least expensive option.
• Stay ahead of storms. View local weather so you can plan the best mode of transportation.
• Get in those steps! See walking time to your destination and estimated number of calories you’ll burn to get there.
• Book a ride. Integrate with the Uber app and see available services, pricing and estimated time of arrival.
• Reserve a car. Find and book the nearest available car2go.
• Reading and driving don’t mix. Get voice-guided, turn-by-turn GPS navigation with driving or walking directions.
• Live life in the the moment and have peace of mind knowing we’re using up-to-date traffic data, with live updates and auto re-routing to help you arrive on time.
• Make the most of your day and activate our traffic layer directly from the home screen and see slow downs, incidents and cameras in the area.
• Sometimes, choices are good. Choose the most optimal route from up to three different choices (when available), with traffic, road closures, etc. taken into account to get you to your destination efficiently.
• Impress your friends and family by sharing your arrival time with estimated time of arrival (ETA) and location sharing features.
• Car broken down? Activate membership-free roadside assistance from our menu for towing, flat tires, etc. When available, we track the tow truck GPS location and display it on the map!
• Forget your work, home and other frequently visited addresses. Bookmark them so you can get to them easily from “Go To” on the home screen.
• Live like a local, no matter where you are!
• Search/display nearby points of interest (POI) in your fave categories like restaurants, gas, hotels, etc. with our industry-first layers bar.
• Use advanced search to see contacts, recent searches, top categories and nearby POI to help you find your destination faster.
• Save money by comparing prices of nearby gas stations.
• Browse menus and reviews and make reservations and order food through our Yelp, OpenTable and GrubHub partnerships.
• Book nearby hotels directly from the app!
NOTE: GPS constantly running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
* car2go requires pre-approved membership
**Currently available in select cities with new cities coming soon.
What's New in Version 5.0
Stop the Mobile-Multitasking Madness! Our new Compare tool simplifies your life without having to perform a balancing act between apps. Looking to plan your trip? Look no further. Seriously, just stop looking. Compare gives you multiple options in one place including Uber, car2go* and local transit** to help you determine the best available option.
Car broken down? Order roadside assistance and then book an Uber to get yourself home - directly through our app. Traffic a bit crazy? Check your local transit or use it as an excuse to walk off some of those pesky calories. Compare was made for you if you:
• Believe time is money. That’s why we’ve made it easy to sort your results to get the quickest and/or least expensive option.
• Like to stay ahead of storms. View local weather so you can plan the best mode of transportation.
• Need to get those steps in. See walking time to your destination and estimated number of calories you’ll burn to get there.
• Want to book a ride. Integrate with the Uber app and see available services, pricing and estimated time of arrival.
• Need to reserve a car. Find and book the nearest available car2go.
PLUS...YOU spoke, WE listened. In addition to fixing multiple pesky bugs and crashes, we have updated our route ribbon color based on feedback to make it more readable. Have additional thoughts? We’ve made it easier than ever to share feedback in the app. Because when you speak, we actually listen.
*car2go requires a pre-approved membership
**Only available in select cities with new cities coming soon.
Even Worse than Before
Now this app requires your location even when you're looking for directions from A to B and you're not in either one. Don't the folks who designed this app understand that people use maps to plan legs of trips?? Apparently not, so I deleted it. The rest of my comments still stand:
-I never use the verbal instructions, so I have no idea if they are useful. When I need to verify a route while driving solo, I pull over and do a quick visual check. App opens slowly, too much time wasted on useless intro screen. When I want to check a route quickly, I don't want a slow, fancy intro - just the map.
-Slow to recognize addresses when you enter them, and even then, it doesn't seem to recognize names of cities like Atlanta.
-The black and white icon does not jump out at you. In fact, it makes the app very hard to find quickly; I guess they don't want us to use it much.
Horrible and dangerous!!
Not sure if it's the new update or not but this I always use map quest and always relied on it. I have no sense of direction and am horrible when I do not know where I am at. I finally deleted mapquest and am searching for something better. It kept freezing on me yesterday while I was driving, ended up taking me over two hours when it's normally a 30min drive. I was in a horrible area kept restarting it and it kept doing the same thing. It would not catch up to where I was!! Very frustrating and very dangerous! My son and I ended up in a very unrecognizable and horrifying town! I've tried reinstalling this app several times. After yesterday I am not using map quest ever again.
Well not much has changed but it is more useable. My main critiques are the same.
Functionality and style have to be balanced.
A black icon that you can barely make out the word "map". Really? "Hey open the Mapquest app!" "Which one is that?" "The black one with the word map on it." "Map!? Which one says map?"
Get the point? This whole flat cryptic thing is so passé. Go back to your ORIGINAL icon, it made more sense.
The theme icon color needs to stand out. Black does not stand out. At least give us a choice on the color.
The font is still awful and hard to read. It needs to be fatter so that it is easier to read.
Since I backup my apps I will be going back to the last one. The apps are almost the same so I won't be missing anything. Will still be keeping tabs on any updates.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Oct 20, 2015
- Version: 5.0
- Size: 29.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: AOL Inc.
- © 2015 MapQuest, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Disable Ads within MapQuest$3.99
- Red Sox$1.99