MarkMyWords is a comprehensive writing environment for everyone who creates articles with markup-formatting.
MARKUP SUPPORT: Markdown + Extra, MultiMarkdown, Textile, Wikitext, BBCode, HTML
# MarkMyWords feature-overview:
- support for various markup-languages
- live preview of the formatted article or preview the HTML-code
- selection of various inbuilt CSS styles and possibility to use own CSS styles for preview
- support of CriticMarkup
- comprehensive set of options for the text editor
- use your own text-templates
- large collection of keyboard shortcuts to perform text manipulation
- headline Navigation-Popup
- a flexible "distraction-free mode"
- export documents (RTF, RTFD, HTML, DOC, ODT, PDF, Textbundle, Textpack)
- extendable with plugins
- import CSV spreadsheets as a formatted table
- quick saving of documents to predefined locations
# Open file-format
MarkMyWords DOES NOT use databases or proprietary file formats for saving documents. All documents created with MarkMyWords are saved as plain text files by default and are therefore Application- and Platform-Independent. So you have full control over your texts. MarkMyWords also offers an option to store documents in the open Textbundle-format.
# Advanced Text Editor Features
The text editor offers many useful features to simplify the writing of texts. In addition to the automatic closing of brackets and quotes, the editor also provides an automatic list generation. Moreover, an automated table creation is available for MultiMarkdown and Markdown Extra. In addition, a rich set of keyboard shortcuts for the most common formatting and actions for moving/copying text within documents is available.
# Options to adjust look'n feel of the editor
MarkMyWords also provides many options to offer a comfortable working environment by setting many aspects of the editor to your personal preferences. Next to settings for font-color, -style and -size, there are also options for spacing of lines, paragraphs, etc. and the option to display line numbering next to the editor.
# Live preview
The live preview shows your texts in the formatted state. When displaying you can either use on of the inbuilt CSS-Styles or use your own CSS-Styles. It is also possible to display CriticMarkup formatting.
By using templates MarkMyWords you can write articles with repetitive text structures even faster.
You can create templates yourself and insert them at any time into a document. In conjunction with the other functions of MarkMyWords you can create texts faster and more focused.
# Extending MarkMyWords
The feature-set of MarkMyWords can be extended by its own plugin system. By using the widely used scripting languages Perl, PHP, Python or Ruby, individual plugins are developed with ease that meet the individual requirements.
# Distraction-free mode
The distraction-free mode hides all elements and thus directs the full concentration to the actual text. Just alike for the normal editor, extensive options are available for the distraction free mode to customize the environment to your preferences.
For more information about MarkMyWords, visit Xelaton.com. There you can also send me a message in case of problems or questions via the contact form!
- Special markup menu in the main menu, with many new actions and corresponding keyboard shortcuts
- Right-click action for the text field: Replace spaces in the selected text with %20 escapes
- Right-click action for the text field: Apply URL-Encode to selected text
- Right-click action for the text box: Remove extra whitespace (two or more consecutive) from text
- MarkMyWords natively supports Mojave's Dark Mode
- small adjustments when exporting to HTML format
- improvements for handling of Textbundle-files
- improved and simplified import of tables from CSV-files
- text editor: remove markup menu action remade
- if the markup language is changed, the headline navigation is also updated
- improvements in generating the headline navigation
- Template-popover user interface corrected
- improvements in the settings for the text editor
- smaller changes within the File Browser user interface
- Menu action to open Headline navigation under View > Show Headline Navigation
- CSS-styles are now displayed alphabetically again in the CSS style selection in newer macOS versions
- Templates are now displayed alphabetically again in the template selection in newer macOS versions
- Style-Drawer interface updated for newer macOS versions
- improved performance of MarkMyWords
- Bundle system and included Bundles TableHelper, NoteC and PicsMove removed due to massive performance and compatibility issues
- CriticMarkup commands have been moved from the Edit menu to the Markup menu
- existing markup commands have been moved from the Format menu to the Markup menu
- BBCode parser updated
- Smark parser updated
- fixes an annoying save error that warns you every time you want to save a file
- fixes a problem opening Textbundle-files defined with an unknown markup language
- fixes an error when opening multiple Textbundle-files at the same time, causing only attachments of one of the opened files to be displayed
- fixes an error when writing Textpack-files
- fixes an error with the headline navigation for the markup language MarkdownExtra
- fixes a syntax-coloring problem for the markup language Smark. Please go to the Markups tab in the MarkMyWords Preferences and click the "Reset All Styles" button
- fixes a bug with the CriticMarkup Batch function if you want to completely remove elements
- print function restored
Ratings and Reviews
Please don’t insert your app as the default app for markdown files
I’ve been meaning to write this for sometime. The app itself is good, but somehow after installation all my markdown and .tex files end up with the MarkMyWords icon and with MarkMyWords as the default app to open the files. Not good. Even after changing it in the “Get Info” window for a file, the icon remains. If I open MMW, the app once again becomes the default app for these file types.
I’ve reluctantly uninstalled the app as the only way to curb this intrusive behavior. For a filetype (such as like markdown or tex) that can be opened by many apps, I want to decide what the default app to open the file is.
Disappointed that a developer would do this.
Developer Response ,
I'm sorry to hear you have a bad feeling about MarkMyWords, but your assumption is wrong. MarkMyWords doesn't actively claim filetypes for itself, but this is a native macOS behavior. The thing MarkMyWords does is to explain macOS which types of file-extensions it can open and provides appropriate file-icons for the files it can open. If you change the default-application for a file-type and the icon doesn't change means the selected application doesn't provide a appropriate file-icon for the file-extension. To make a change to the default-application to open a certain file-type you also need to click the "Change All.."-Button, which appears when choosing another application. If you have further questions, use the support-form on Xelaton.com please.
This developer “gets it”!
Open standards. Open formats. Keep It Simple Sam. I have every one of this developers’ products and couldn’t be happier.
I sync all my notes on my Synology DiskStation. I don’t use “the cloud”. Everything works flawlessly. Plus, I have the peace of mind knowing that all my data is in an easy to migrate format (markdown usually) and not housed in some proprietary database “locking me in” to a specific Company or software package.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! (Danke schön!)
Useful but needs work
This is a decent tool that have some potential. The php textile parser is a little laggy at times. I would say the UI needs a LOT of work and the icon is horrific. Not to mention the name…just bad…sorry just being honest. It would not hurt the developer of this app to try out iA Writer to get some ideas. The features however get the job done. A good companion if you do a lot of work in basecamp with writeboads. This is the only tool I have found thus far for creating templates written using the textile syntax.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.