Mast is a beautiful Mastodon app built with iOS design guidelines in mind. It’s as feature-packed as it is gorgeous. With customisable content and themes, it’s most definitely the perfect choice.
The stunning timelines make reading the latest content a joy, and tapping the on-screen elements gives you a wonderful haptic response. Long-holding anywhere in the app quickly lets you toggle themes, and Siri Shortcuts let you do the same, and more. Awesome.
I've also thrown in some cool things like 3D Touch support, Today Extension, Share Extensions, iMessage Stickers, a Watch app, Siri Shortcuts, and an iPad app! I hope you enjoy using Mast.
“What is Mastodon?”, you may ask. Well, it’s a federated and decentralised social network. Think of it as email, where you can choose your provider, yet talk with almost anyone from anywhere regardless of their choices. The instances on Mastodon and Pleroma give users freedom to find their community, whilst allowing everyone to talk with each other with the level of visibility that they want. The content warning feature makes it safer, and the increased character count makes it far more expressible. It’s what microblogging should have always been.
If you're a fan of details, here's what Mast contains:
- Beautiful and clean interface
- Fast and lightweight
- Light mode (day), dark mode (dusk), darker mode (night), true black dark mode (midnight), and midnight blue themes (you could even set up Siri Shortcuts to do this for you magically)
- Themes and customization
- Multiple user accounts
- Supercharged toot composition screen with a powerful media gallery, text styling options, ASCII text face insertion, instance emoticons, now playing content insertion, picture pasting, and user autocomplete
- Browse and add GIFs to toots when composing
- Powerful media app-drawer with a gallery slider, and drag-and-drop deletion
- Polls support (create, view, vote)
- Supercharged media viewer and Picture-in-Picture videos that can be dragged around
- Dedicated chat-like direct messages section
- Media galleries
- Swipe actions to like/boost/reply (swipe right)
- Swipe actions to mute/block/report/translate/share (swipe left)
- Alt image text addition and viewing support
- Pinch the screen anywhere to toot a screenshot
- Schedule toots for the future
- Filter toots
- Endorse accounts
- Translate toots
- Threaded toot conversations
- Notifications and activity
- List creation support
- View pinned and liked toots
- View muted and blocked users
- Gorgeous profiles with links
- Dynamic hashtags, related, and user search
- Content warning overlays (shake to display again)
- Dynamic history view
- Adjustable segments
- Instance emoticons display and composition support
- Account locking and follower requests
- Customizable gestures
- iPad app
- Hardware keyboard shortcuts
- 3D Touch Peek and Pop
- 3D Touch Quick Actions
- Today Extension
- Share Extensions for Photos and Safari
- Siri Shortcuts
- Watch app with timelines and profile, works over cellular
- Cute iMessage stickers
- Joyful haptics and alerts
- Real time streaming
- Push notifications
- URL schemes
- Subtle volume indicator
- Dynamic app icon changing
- Useful settings to customize as you see fit
- Image and video audio to text conversion
- VoiceOver accessibility for the visually impaired
- Universal iOS app (iPhone, iPad, iPad Pro)
- Supports iOS multitasking on the iPad (Slide Over and Split View)
(Requires a Mastodon account)
I'm constantly evolving and crafting Mast to create the perfect Mastodon app for you. If you have any suggestions or feedback, I’d love to hear it! Come visit us on Mastodon and let’s craft an incredible toot browsing experience together.
Mastodon Developer: @JPEG@mastodon.technology
Mast 1.7.1 is here, and I think you're going to love it!
- Added notifications to the activity segment of the mentions tab for when polls you've interacted with have ended
- Added notifications filter option for polls
- Swipe left on a scheduled toot to present the options to either delete or to delete and redraft the respective scheduled status
- Emoticon names when viewing images have been replaced with actual emoticons
- Added the option to toggle conversation reply indentation
- Confetti across the app is now disabled by default (can be enabled via settings)
- Compose screen text now fades at the top and bottom edges if the text exceeds the size of the text frame
- Fixed issue where multiple images in toots wouldn't be sized and laid out properly
- Fixed issue where images added to toots would overlay the list of suggested users
- Fixed issue where tapping timeline or notifications images when new content has been streamed in recently would sometimes crash the app
- Fixed issue where direct messages would sometimes be sent to yourself rather than the other mentioned user
- Fixed issue where profile avatars and headers wouldn't be scaled to fit properly
- Fixed issue where attempting to delete scheduled toots would crash the app
- Fixed issue where the compose screen gallery and associated buttons would remain visible behind the keyboard when tapping the text view after viewing gallery images
- Fixed issue where replies text would sometimes get truncated
- Fixed issue where the user table would be displayed in the compose screen at times when it's not expected to be displayed
- Fixed issue where replying to a direct message with a picture attaches an empty @ instead of the correct user
- Fixed issue where compose screen text would be covered by image thumbnails
- Fixed issue where instance emoticons in the compose screen would sometimes load multiple times or display multiple accounts' emoticons if there are multiple accounts added to the app
- Minor UI adjustments and bug fixes
If you'd like to read the gigantic updates notes for the previous update, head over to https://www.thebluebird.app/post/mast-1-7-0 for an extensive rundown of everything that's changed since the previous update.
If you like this update and enjoy using Mast, please leave a review! It really helps. I'd also love to hear your thoughts and questions via Mastodon through @JPEG@mastodon.technology.
Ratings and Reviews
Very promising, pleasant to use, minor snags yet
I've been using Mast for a few days so far, and it's been quite great! The interface feels well thought out and behaves as I'd expect it to. It supports the Mastodon features you need (message privacy, CW's, sensitivity and textual descriptions for pictures), and feels pleasant and fast.
Some toothing problems in this revision, but I expect they'll get fixed soon!
* the "activity" view crashes very often
* you can use the app one handed! Great when waiting in line: double-tap images to zoom, throw them away to dismiss; unfortunately, dismissing animated GIFs requires stretching your thumb all the way to the X in the far left corner (Mast does picture in picture, which seems neat but I don't use it)
* It still loses scroll state on occasion (but is pretty good at retaining the position usually!)
* content-warning posts, once revealed, can't be closed again; the only way I found to do that has been to scroll away, which restores the warning (weirdly: I've seen background refreshes restore the content warning without any interaction from me)
Overall, I think this app is more than worth the price! Once the crasher bugs are fixed, I'd absolutely recommend using it for anyone's Mastodon needs!
Crashes on iPad, notifications broken on iPhone
The app looks great! Best UI in all of the Mastodon apps I have tried. Unfortunately, the app constantly keeps crashing on my iPad (non-Pro) 2018. Logs in fine, but the moment I touched on the hamburger menu icon, it crashed. Upon reopening the app, my feed is blank. No way to get my feed back without reinstalling the app, but the hamburger menu crash still persists.
The app itself works fine on my iPhone 8+, fortunately. But, there is a weird issue with notifications. They show up in the Notification Center on my phone just fine, but they do not show up on the app. I’ve tried to manually sync them, but new ones will not show up. Only notifications that I had at the time I logged in. Logging out and back in again makes newer notifications appear, but this is not ideal.
Developer Response ,
Hey, thank you for the great feedback and insight into what's not working as great as it could be. The iPad app will be redesigned entirely from the ground up in the near future and will contain fixes and better handling of elements. The feed issue should also be fixed for the next update where it refuses to load sometimes. In terms of notifications, this is now resolved for the next update too. Hope this helps!
Better than the webUI, work in progress
I’m giving Mast 5 stars because this app is beautiful to look at (though uniquely designed it’s still easily navigated) and the potential is there to be the go to app for Mastodon users.
I can’t stress this enough: If you need a mature app that’s been tested for years and has a solid bedrock of Q&A underneath it: look elsewhere. Part of Mast’s charm is that it’s immature software and although it’s a bit buggy, the developer works incredibly hard on adding features and squashing bugs. Updates are frequent and I haven’t witnessed any update feel like a “regression”
I’m happy I bought it and look forward to future updates.
- Shihab Mehboob
- 141.9 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2018 Shihab Mehboob.
- In-App Purchases
- Calf Tip $0.99
- Mastodon Tip $9.99
- Mammoth Tip $5.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.