MIDI Sketch turns your iPad and iPhone into a music sketchpad. Quickly and easily compose melodies, chord progressions and drum patterns. It works with your favourite synths and music apps that support MIDI input. Once you are done, export the sketch as a MIDI file.
• Three simple note editing modes: pencil, edit and velocity
• Precisely edit a note's position and length on the timeline by zooming in to its exact location
• Select and edit multiple notes at the same time
• Cut, Copy, Paste, Select All and Delete actions are supported
• Velocity Mode: Select notes and drag your finger vertically to adjust their velocities
• Transpose an entire sketch by +/-24 semitones
• Adjust the grid’s vertical and horizontal zooms independently
• Import/export MIDI files*
• Supports the fully featured iOS 11 document browser
• Change the app that MIDI Sketch controls by configuring MIDI Output
• Bluetooth MIDI support: Advertise or Discover
• Adjustable tempo and sketch length
• Can be used in any orientation on iPhone and fully supports iPad multitasking
Note that the app itself does not produce any sound. It sends MIDI note messages to Core MIDI compatible apps and devices.
* If a MIDI file consists of multiple tracks they will be imported as separate sketches.
• Minor bug fix
Ratings and Reviews
Lightweight, powerful MIDI Editor
I don't understand some of the negative reviews for this app. This is a not a synthesizer; it does not make sound. It's a powerful MIDI editor in a 1MB file size app. Yes, the piano roll grid can be a little tricky at first to figure out. But all the functionality is there. It does polyphonic notes. It does copy/paste, and group transposition. Zoom in and touch the left side of notes to move the note, or the right side of it to lengthen/shorten.
But the killer feature of this app is the ability to open raw MIDI files (thousands of which are all over the internet, or you can create your own with other programs), and then allow you to edit them, re-export as MIDI files, OR control other apps in real-time using Virtual or CoreMIDI (for hardware).
Despite the simplistic interface, the app has worked great for me. Some caveats - "Open in" only imports 32 measures right now. This is clearly indicated in the app description, but I hope to see it increase. Also, the app only controls one MIDI track at a time. I do not believe you can control multiple apps using different MIDI "channels". But for what the app does, it is phenomenal. Hope to see continued work on the app, as it will be used on all my devices.
Good, but missing key features
Does what it was designed for, which is very nice, but it's missing a record function for inputting midi notes via midi controller - inputting notes one by one is not good workflow.
Also, quantize for recorded notes with adjustable quantize percentage, and a metronome for recording notes would be necessary.
The app is not really worth $10 without these features, but it would be a five-star app if it had these things.
a very good, simple midi editor. piano roll is very good stuff, even better than auria pro's piano roll for example. if you need a complex sequencer or a song mode, there are many that will work for that.
i do wish for ableton link support, would be awesome and very helpful when recording audio of the sequenced apps.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.