Midori (Japanese Dictionary)
By Sukolsak Sakshuwong
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Midori is a Japanese-English, English-Japanese dictionary. It's a perfect tool for those who are studying Japanese, with 890,000 entries, 150,000 example sentences, and many features that will make your Japanese learning experience much easier.
• More than 170,000 word entries. Each entry shows readings, meanings, and kanji breakdown.
• More than 12,000 kanji entries. Each entry shows readings, meanings, and example compounds.
• Example sentences with furigana (small hiragana above kanji).
• Words in example sentences are linked to the definitions.
• Over 6,000 kanji with stroke order diagrams and stroke order animations.
• Over 720,000 Japanese proper names, place names, given names, company names and product names.
SEARCH & TRANSLATE
• Search words by kana or romaji, such as あき or aki
• Search kanji by drawing them. Our Japanese handwriting recognition can handle arbitrary stroke order.
• Search kanji by radicals, e.g. 禾 + 火 -> 秋
• Search suggestion when the input is in a conjugated form, e.g. 走った -> 走る
• Search with wildcard characters, e.g. 日*人 returns all words that start with 日 and end with 人
• Search with the SKIP system
• Partial results when the full word is not found, e.g. searching for 青い本 returns the results for 青い and 本
• Fast incremental search gives you the result instantly as you type
LISTS & BOOKMARKS
• List of kanji as taught in Japanese schools from grade 1 to 6
• List of kanji by frequency as appeared in Japanese newspapers
• List of kanji and words by Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) levels
• Lists of hiragana and katakana, each with stroke diagram and animation
• Bookmarks with folders support. You can export, import, or share bookmarks with your friends.
• Flashcards for bookmarked words and kanji
• Audio pronunciations (from speech synthesis)
• Create a vocabulary list with definitions from Japanese text in one tap
• Scratch pad for practicing writing kanji on iPad
• No internet connection required. The app is completely offline.
• 3D Touch support
• Split View on compatible iPad
• Universal app. Buy it once, run on all your iOS devices, whether it's iPhone or iPad
Visit our website at www.midoriapp.com to learn more about the app. If you have any questions, please let us know at email@example.com Thank you!
What's New in Version 1.8.13
- iOS 11 compatibility
- When you search for a word in a conjugated form, Midori now tells you what form it is. For example, "作られる" is "passive."
- Lists of kanji taught in Japanese high schools
- Bug fixes
The best Japanese dictionary app out there.
I feel like I need. to write another review for Midori. I’ve been using it for over 4yrs now and it has never disappointed. There are number of reasons I like it not the least of which is because I can look up words without clearing the search menu and it still separates and displays all the results. I also own another popular Japanese dictionary app “Japanese”, which I think it good, but I always go to Midori when doing some serous translations and tough Japanese reading. This app is definitely a must for serious Japanese learners!!! I’m not an employee for Midori, but I think you should invest in this app!
This app is fantastic
Not only the best Japanese dictionary, but the best of any foreign language dictionary that I’ve found. UI is clean and easy to navigate. The flash card system is fantastic for learning vocabulary and the adaptive recall system is the perfect amount of functionality without bombarding you with endless options that you need to configure. Using the flash card system I was able to learn almost 1000 words in about a month, by simply reviewing the recommended cards for each day.
Only thing that’s lacking - please make an equivalent app for Chinese! :)
Awesome App, happy they still update
I have had this app for over 8 years and is always my go to.
While there had not been any “crazy new look” or “ special new pink elephant “ type updates, the app/dictionary keeps working well and I haven’t been charged for an update or forced into some useless subscription schemes so 5 stars from me.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Sep 28, 2017
- Version: 1.8.13
- Size: 172 MB
- Languages: English, Japanese
- Seller: Sukolsak Sakshuwong
- © 2017 Sukolsak Sakshuwong
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.