PPG MiniMapper is the latest development from the inventor of wavetable synthesis, Wolfgang Palm. It is a next generation synthesizer, building on the heritage of the PPG Wave keyboards.
PPG MiniMapper is an easy to use performance synthesizer with a wide range of sounds for iPhone and iPod Touch.
PPG MiniMapper comes with 10 pages:
• Sound Map - Manual Mode
• Sound Map - Accelerator Mode
• Sound Map - Magic Mode
• Arptor - Start/Stop/Record, Range, Up/Down/Random
• Audio Recorder / Keyboard Editor
• Modifiers Page - two X/Y controller with selectable routing
• System Setup - Number of Voices, Sample Rate, other constants
• MIDI Setup - In / Out and controller
• Preset Browser -
• Bank Manager - copy presets between banks
• New Sound map concept - create new sounds playful and experimental
• Map Recorder generates new programs on the fly
• Features the same audio engine that powers the highly popular PPG WaveMapper
• Arptor - a flexible Step Sequencer / Arpeggiator combination
• Schematic touch keyboard - zoom and scrollable
• Build your own keyboard, with the keys you prefer for your music.
• Powerful sound browser - sorting by category, bank management
• Virtual and Hard-MIDI in/out - sending/receiving keys and polypressure
• Sending/receiving the Icon positions and X/Y performers
• Audiobus 2 support
• 10 min Audio recorder and Audio Copy
• Context specific help for all pages
• Easy data exchange between MiniMapper and WaveMapper
Fixes a crash when importing soundbanks
Corrects graphic errors (on newer devices)
Ratings and Reviews
PPG Wavetable Synthesis on iPhone Rocks
We all know that Wavetable Synthesis was invented by Wolfgang Palm and his pioneering work and future vision sit here at your fingertips. The timbres are exquisite and mapping parameters in this fashion is absolute brilliance. Creating unique mappings is a breeze using the included presets and several additional banks are available for download from Wolfgang’s website.
Wave Generator banks can also be loaded, so feel free to download and “open in” those as you see fit. While the preset banks for Wave Generator do not show mappings when loaded in MiniMapper, their timbral content can be assigned by the user to any mapping point on screen and elements of the synthesis can be placed to suit your fancy, when creating user presets, which greatly expand the variety in timbral content which each user mapping can contain.
The keyboard interface has two modes for use when playing, fully opaque and semi-opaque. When keys are semi-opaque you can interact with objects beneath the playing surface while continuing to play notes. It’s cool.
Best thing is to just dive in; and (if you also have an iPad) grab a copy of WaveGenerator and start crafting your own sonic master pieces and then send them to MiniMapper on iPhone for playing! They’re the perfect pair.
Unique, beautiful, affordable
MiniMapper, which is the little brother of PPG WaveMapper (usually around $20 for iPad), is actually a full-featured little app with terrific sounds and a big library of content. I'll admit to being mostly clueless to how the interface for creating and morphing those sounds works, but the presets in this $3.99 app are quite varied, and pleasantly unique from the other synths out there. I actually was not a huge fan of the in-app keyboard, but it has full VirtualMIDI support, so you can use the controller app of your choice. And, of course, it works with AudioBus, so it's friendly to your workflow. I didn't need another synth, but I'm happy to have this one in my collection at a very reasonable price.
The exquisite synthesizer, WaveMapper, has a little sister now, and it's not just a scaled back version of it's older sibling. There are some great new features which improve upon the iPad original in exciting and highly useful ways. I just hope the transparent keys and the auto map modes make it into WaveMapper in an update soon. I also hope that someone will explain to me how to save presets and arpeggios in MiniMapper, because I haven't found it yet :)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.