MrMC is a software media center for playing videos, music, and pictures. It allows users to play and view most videos, music, and other digital media files from local storage media and media devices/servers such as Emby, Plex, HDHomerun, TVHeadend and more.
- integrated Trakt support
- integrated Plex client with Direct Play
- integrated SMB, NFS, FTP/SFTP clients
- integrated LightEffects client (boblight/ambilight)
- integrated SQLite or external MySQL databases for video/music libraries
- supports DVDs with DVD menu support
- supports MKV, AVI, DivX and other video files
- supports ACC, FLAC, DD, DTS and other audio formats
- supports MythTV, HDHomeRun and many other IPTV devices
- user installed python addons/plugins are not supported
iTunes Shared Folder access
monitor hardware volume keys
Hue light service
Plex Photo/Image transcoding
Server selector on home screen
Allow sources on Home screen
Addons are now called extensions
Smb clients (smb1/smb2/smb3 support)
tvdb/tmdb API support
hev1 format under videotoolbox
crash if 2-byte/3-byte NALs are present
tvos, handle ac3 5.0 channels
see github for a complete listing
Ratings and Reviews
Nice basic Media Player interface, KODI - like design, functionality could be better..
This is not (yet) the media center client I am looking for, to view, manage and play my movie collection from several NAS servers.
Since I use the KODI media center app on my Windows 10PCs and like it, I thought MrMC (based on core KODI functionality) would offer me the same on my iPad, for a reasonable price.
I probably won’t use the current MrMC since functionality is too limited for me, but I paid for it and I keep it installed to see if future versions add usability and tools I am looking for.
I tested the app with the Opacity UI. A clean, contemporary design. Very nice. But it’s not a great iPad (touch) implementation, i did not find support for gestures, the lack of a home button means you have to click and navigate back through the layers of features, no easy jump from the end to the top of your long movie list..
Browsing large media collections is slow. One long list with thousands of movies, none of the usual navigation tools like alphabetic selection to show all movie titles beginning with ‘x’.
It appears the UI automatically merges all your movie files from various network source directories together in one long list, whether you want it or not.
Download of cover art and plot summaries works very well. Only one of my 670 test movies was not correctly identified.
Other metadata does not work so well. Review ratings are only found and downloaded for some of the movies when I define IMDB Or MovieDB as source, or not at all from other sources like Rotten Tomatoes. Some movies seem to be randomly marked as HD, others with the exact same resolution are not. File size, data transfer rate or container file types are not shown (mkv, mp4) in the list or movie info. That makes the correct file selection difficult if you have the same movie in several versions. It’s hit or miss.
I still recommend the app for users with smaller amounts of files and less storage or sorting complexity - but of course you don’t really need a media center app then..
HDR support is great
HDR support is amazing!
Great app to access your local media files
Derived from the popular Kodi program.
Organizes video, audio, and image files for access and playback. Handles many file formats, including mkv and flac. Automatically loads movie and TV show art and info from online databases.
Needs NAS server with media files accessible on your LAN.
- ROOTCODER, L.L.C.
- 166.7 MB
- Requires iOS 10.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- © 2015 ROOTCODER, L.L.C.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.