myTracks turns your iPhone or Apple Watch into a fully functional GPS logger. During recording, you can add waypoints to highlight important locations. The GPS tracks are stored on your iPhone and optionally in iCloud. There is no need to register or login to any internet service. Your tracks are your tracks.
You can start and stop individual GPS recordings or use the power-saving diary mode. Using this mode myTracks automatically creates a single track for each day with the most important locations.
The integrated Apple Watch app displays information about the current GPS recording. This includes the starting time, distance traveled, current, minimum and maximum elevation. Since myTracks 5 you can record tracks directly using Apple Watch.
Here is an overview of the main features of myTracks:
- GPS Recording: You record GPS tracks using iPhone or Apple Watch. There is no need for an active internet connection.
- Maps: The tracks are shown on pixel or vector maps based on OpenStreetMap.
- Offline Maps: myTracks provides offline vector maps for every country of the world. Once an offline map has been loaded to your iPhone you can zoom in to any detail of the map without an internet connection. The pixel maps also supports the download of offline maps.
- Track Organization: You can organize your tracks using folders, e.g. a folder for a year a folder for a holiday.
- Export and Sharing: Tracks can be exported as GPX, KML or KMZ files.
- Diary Mode: myTracks has a special recording mode called Diary Mode. Once this mode has been started myTracks creates a single track for each day. It uses a power efficient iOS feature called "major location changes". The Diary Mode can be switched on all the time without drilling down your battery.
- Search: Within myTracks you can search for addresses or special points (POIs).
- iCloud: All your tracks and the folder structure is synchronized between all your Apple device, both iOS and macOS.
- Apple Watch: myTracks contains an Apple Watch App with quick access to all major features and information of your recording. It can also be used for direct track recording.
- Track Import: GPS tracks can be imported to the track library from other apps using the GPX file format.
- myTracks is ad-free
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Bugfixes and minor improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Adding pictures and Waypoints
The inability to add sync waypoints between the mobile and desktop apps is the only reason this app is not my go-to for GPS tracking. Please consider this!
Also, the ability to add pictures to a track AFTER recording (like the desktop app), would be great!
Why did you break it?
I am really sad. This worked one year ago. Now I updated and the new version won’t record my tracks, I can only see my old ones from last year. It shows me where I am so I know the location works. Even the diary updates. But although it claims to record tracks, timer runs and everything, no new tracks are there once I ask it to stop recording. I am deleting it, very sadly, and trying new apps. I used to live this app.
Does what I want
Unlike most of the GNSS logging apps this doesn’t try to be a social network app. It also works just fine even without cell coverage.
It is simple, does what I want and does do what I don’t want.
- Dirk Stichling
- 114.6 MB
- Requires iOS 10.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Japanese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2018 Dirk Stichling
- In-App Purchases
- Extension Pack 1 $2.99
- California $0.99
- Florida $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.