myTracks - The GPS-Logger
By Dirk Stichling
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
myTracks turns your iPhone into a fully functional GPS logger. During recording, you can add waypoints to highlight important locations. The GPS tracks are stored on your iPhone and optionally in iCloud. There is no need to register or login to any internet service. Your tracks are your tracks.
You can start and stop individual GPS recordings or use the power-saving diary mode. Using this mode myTracks automatically creates a single track for each day with the most important locations.
The integrated Apple Watch app displays information about the current GPS recording. This includes the starting time, distance traveled, current, minimum and maximum elevation.
Here is an overview of the main features of myTracks:
- GPS Recording: You record GPS tracks using different time intervals accuracy settings. There is no need for an active internet connection.
- Vector Maps: The tracks are shown on vector maps based on OpenStreetMap.
- Offline Maps: myTracks provides offline maps for every country of the world. Once an offline map has been loaded to your iPhone you can zoom in to any detail of the map without an internet connection. Offline maps are available as in-app purchase.
- Track Organization: You can organize your tracks using folders, e.g. a folder for a year a folder for a holiday.
- Export and Sharing: Tracks can be exported as GPX, KML or KMZ files.
- Diary Mode: myTracks has a special recording mode called Diary Mode. Once this mode has been started myTracks creates a single track for each day. It uses a power efficient iOS feature called "major location changes". The Diary Mode can be switched on all the time without drilling down your battery.
- Search: Within myTracks you can search for addresses or special points (POIs).
- iCloud: All your tracks and the folder structure is synchronized between all your Apple device, both iOS and macOS.
- Apple Watch: myTracks for iOS contains an Apple Watch App with quick access to all major features and information of your recording.
- Track Import: GPS tracks can be imported to the track library from other apps using the GPX file format.
- myTracks is ad-free
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 4.2.1
Fixed a bug where the Diary mode consumed to much battery.
The best GPS track logger I know.
The most amazing part of the app is it takes only 86.8MB of space even with 50 U.S. states maps downloaded. Downloading map did not increase space usage, which to me means the maps are already included in the app, just need to be enabled.
The only complaint I can think of is the app crashes many times, and hangs during some maps download. I have iOS 11. Stop and restart the app didn’t fix it. I had to delete the app and download it again.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Oct 04, 2017
- Version: 4.2.1
- Size: 105 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Japanese
- Seller: Dirk Stichling
- © Dirk Stichling
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Extension Pack 1$2.99
- United States$7.99