Name Mangler 3
By Many Tricks
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Name Mangler is a blazingly-fast multi-file renaming tool that's incredibly easy to use.
• Create single or multi-step renaming actions, save them, and share them across Macs
• Rename in excess of 2,000 files per second
• Use files' metadata (e.g. ISO speed, dimensions, bit rate, etc.) in new names
• Before and after views of your filenames insure you rename them as you intend
• Save renaming tasks as droplets: just drag-and-drop files onto a droplet, and they'll be renamed
• Load any previously-used rename action from the History browser
Name Mangler 3 represents a quantum leap forward in file renaming: speed and beauty combined with ease of use, and loaded with features.
For those coming from Name Mangler 2, here's what's new in this version:
--- Tons of new features ---
• Multi-step renaming lets you perform complex renaming tasks without touching Advanced mode
• Metadata accessible for use in all renaming operations, via an intuitive metadata browser
• Save any renaming action as a Preset, and automatically sync those presets across Macs
• Export renaming actions for sharing via email, etc.
• History keeps track of all performed actions, making it simple to reuse these actions
• Revert last-used renaming operation
• Shift-drag to file list will add the dragged files to the existing list
• Delete presets (and snippets, see below) from within Name Mangler by using the Option key
• Optionally display only files that will be renamed, instead of all files in the list
• Automatically detect potential duplicates and flag (or optionally automatically fix)
• Finder is no longer required to be running to use Name Mangler
• Check for file writable status and warn user if files are not writable
--- User interface improvements ---
• Fully retinaized for the retina Mac laptops
• The pop-up button for the rename operations has been moved out of the toolbar
• The 'Rename' button is in a more logical and visible spot
• Choose a dark or light appearance for the file list area
• The rename action area can be expanded horizontally
• Status lights next to each filename deliver at-a-glance info on renaming state
• Interim results show filenames at each step of a multi-step renaming task
• Tooltips show original names, new names, and errors
• Query field in Find and Replace makes it more obvious when in regular expression mode
• Status light for regular expressions shows syntax checking state (green=good, red=bad)
• New large icon view
• Automatic view mode determines what details to show based on sort order
--- Mind-boggling speed improvements ---
• Load tens of thousands of files from Finder in only seconds
• 50 to 100+ times faster than Name Mangler 2
• Rename from 1,000 to in excess of 2,000 files per second
• So fast, you may think it's not doing anything…but it is!
--- New/improved renaming actions ---
• New action: Compose, to start with a completely blank slate
• Split Insert/Remove into two distinct actions
• Split Prefix/Suffix into two distinct actions
• Sequence has been greatly simplified, thanks to multi-step
• New Sequence formats: Roman Numerals and Letters
• Sequence start and increments can be negative
• Increased the maximum and minimum limits for Sequence values
• Arbitrary Terms is now a format in the Sequence action
• Arbitrary Terms can take a CSV formatted file as input
--- Advances in Advanced mode ---
• New function: [random (number of character) from (pool)]
• Auto-complete functions and variables
• Tab to next empty parameter
• Selection (or line) can be shifted in or out via Command-[ and Command-]
• Find and replace
• Save any Advanced program as a Preset for easy reuse
• Create snippets of portions of code for easy reuse in other Advanced programs
• Automatically sync snippets to multiple Macs
What's New in Version 3.3.2
• Allows renaming of locked files, via a dialog asking for permission to do so.
• Modified some interface elements in preparation for upcoming OS X releases.
• Prepared for security changes in future OS X releases.
• Added accessibility descriptions for the file list and renamer configuration area, for those who use VoiceOver.
Wasn’t sure at first if I’d use this enough to merit the price but after having had it, it has become a priceless utility. The program is very intuitive in my opinion. Easily does all sorts of things with file names that makes batch renaming of graphic files for websites a breeze… can do find-and-replace, adding a prefix or suffix, changing the letter case… really awesome. Has saved me many hours of painful file renaming the old-fashioned way. Have never had any problems with bugs with the app.
Fills a big gap
Not much to be said, this product has saved me so much time it’s not even funny. Seems pretty fast and powerful to me, and haven’t had any technical glitches yet.
Worth far more than the price, based on how much time and headache it’s saved me.
(That said, I always make a copy of a directory before doing any type of mass change, whether with Name Mangler or any other tool…)
Best I've Found
There are a number of filename changing utilities on the App Store. This is by far the best one I've found. It lives up to its claims. Easy user interface that is designed for an efficient workflow and VERY fast renaming, even with very large lists of files. Blows the others away. Excellent job! (Moom, another app of theirs, is also nearly indispensible for me)
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Aug 14, 2014
- Version: 3.3.2
- Size: 6.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Many Tricks
- © 2005–2015 Many Tricks
Compatibility: OS X 10.8 or later