NewsBar RSS reader
By Andras Porffy
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Rock your Desktop with NewsBar - the fast-updating iCloud newsreader!
NewsBar is built with a fresh concept: news feeds delivered with a smooth animation, right to your desktop with automatic iCloud sync across all OS X and iOS Apple devices. Converts any RSS and Twitter feeds into a realtime live news stream with categories, keyword watching and alerts. Sync with Pocket.
All of your favourite RSS and Twitter feeds continuously appear on the selected side of your display or in a regular window. NewsBar is like having your own, personal news agency. You don't have to waste your time checking webpages: NewsBar will show you what's going on - right now.
No delays, no waiting: stories appear right on your display, just as they are published. You can easily organize, read, follow, mark, filter and search news from your favorite feeds. Stories are read directly from RSS and Twitter sources without delay. NewsBar is probably the fastest RSS reader in the world.
There is no need to register any account or login into any service, news reading with NewsBar is simple, safe and private.
"If you’re looking for something a bit different in your RSS reader, I really recommend giving NewsBar a try, it’s a surprisingly powerful and enjoyable little app." - Mac Appstorm
Important: NewsBar is NOT a Twitter client. It's just an additional feature wich allows to read selected Twitter feeds from sources where RSS not available. Twitter feeds should be added manually.
◦ News without delay
◦ High speed, efficient RSS engine
◦ iCloud sync of feeds, statuses and starred across all Apple devices
◦ Smooth animation on news arrival
◦ Mac desktop integration with adjustable opacity
◦ Add new feeds and feed icons with Drag and Drop
◦ Organize feeds into user defined folders
◦ Single click opens RSS content in a popup window
◦ Double click opens news in your browser
◦ Auto hide read items
◦ Mark & share news
◦ OS X Notification Center support
◦ Star news for later reading
◦ News can be highlighted and filtered by keywords
◦ Keyword detection alerts using audible and visible cues
◦ Customizable interface (colors, fonts, size, gradient, opacity)
◦ Assign custom icon for each feed
◦ Twitter @user and #hashtag news feed reading
◦ RSS 2.0, ATOM support
◦ Send news to Pocket
◦ Customizable individual feed settings
◦ Import feed list from Google Reader takeout
◦ OPML export and import
◦ Quick text search in all feeds
◦ Multiple display/desktop and Spaces support
◦ Menubar mode (App icon can be removed from dock)
◦ Very low CPU and memory usage
◦ Different refresh time can be set on Battery power
◦ Runs on all Mac OS X version from 10.6 and later
• Minimize to Dock
• Quick Text Search
• Add new Feed
• Show only Starred News
• Auto hide read items
• Show only Keyword filtered News
• Open Preferences
What's New in Version 3.8
- OS X El Capitan compatibility
- Dock icon badge count can be turned on/off in preferences
- Better preview window sizing
- Twitter login fix
- Many bug fixes
Great app for scientific articles
I use the app as an RSS reader for scientific papers, i.e. to get updates about the early view papers. You can group the feeds by topic and adjust the colors accordingly. The app shows you the abstract, but clicking on the title opens the journal article in your web brower. In general, the app is very flexible and and the bar can be adjusted to your need. I can highly recommend that great app!
Spinning Pinwheel always comes up
NewsBar has a lovely look and feel, but it frequently freezes when I try to click on an RSS entry or edit preferences. Also, on my laptop, the battery menubar icon tells me that NewsBar is a battery hog. That may be unavoidable as the app is constantly checking the internet for new posts. My main concern is that it so often freezes when I try to use it.
Love this App!
It's a great idea to keep headlines on the desktop, just a glance to see what's going on. Lot of appearance settings !!