A simple yet powerful weather app that combines science with simplicity for viewing real-time animated weather radar images in vivid color on a highly responsive interactive map.
NOAA Hi-Def Radar Pro has been updated for iOS 10 and beyond. With this major update comes a sleek new design, new radar, and new weather map options.
New hi-definition radar provides stunning precipitation detail. See freezing rain (pink) areas of radar so you know where hazardous road conditions are likely.
• Install and go, no complex setup.
• Select transparency of radar imagery for your preference.
• Sharp radar imagery even on retina displays that show the latest radar images within minutes.
• Show the weather map full-screen on your device and hide the app buttons for a fantastic full-screen map view of radar activity. Looks especially great on iPad!
• Tap and hold anywhere on the map to check current weather and forecasts.
• Show your GPS position, direction of travel and elevation on the map when enabled.
• Bookmark multiple locations for fast and easy access to your favorite places.
• Current conditions, hourly and five-day forecasts alongside detailed weather information for all your locations, including pressure readings for all your locations.
Show Weather Layers on the map: New layers on the weather map let you see recent weather activity from the last 6 to 12 hours:
• Clouds & Radar together
• Wind Speed
• Snow Cover
• Water Temperatures
• Road Weather
Show Severe Weather Overlays on the map: Alerts on the weather map let you see severe weather warning boxes where dangerous weather is happening:
• Tap alert boxes on the map to view info
• Tornadoes and Thunderstorm watches and warnings
• Flood watches and warnings
• Hurricane and Tropical Storm forecast tracks
• Hurricane and Tropical Storm watches and warnings
• Storm Tracks showing direction of storm in the next few minutes
• Winter storm watches and warnings
• Marine and coastal alerts
• Earthquakes over the last 48 hours
• View Lightning strikes on the map (no additional purchase necessary)
Enhance your app with auto-renewing subscriptions:
• Buy Future Weather ($0.99/month) to unlock these 2 features:
1) Future Radar: See radar into the future (6 hrs on Wi-Fi, 2 hrs on cellular)
2) Future Temperature Map: See future temperatures map (12 hrs on Wi-Fi, 5 hrs on cellular)
• Buy Lightning Notifications ($0.99/month) to unlock this 1 feature:
1) Be notified when lightning strikes nearby. Get a push notification whenever lightning strikes near your Saved Locations up to 10 miles away. (At this time, Current Location is not supported by Lightning Notifications.)
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
• When you receive a Lightning Alert push notification (assuming you have an active paid in-app subscription for Lightning Notifications), you will now see an in-app notification for that lightning strike when the app is open as well. Previously, you would only see a notification if the app was in the background or closed. Now you'll see the notification in any state the app might be in.
• A new Share button on the Map screen lets you share a screenshot of the map's current weather. Helpful for showing friends and family the current radar, active weather alert polygons, and any other map layers you've chosen to display.
• We fixed a bug that caused some users to not have their in-app purchase features enabled immediately after purchase. When that bug occurred, the best workaround was to delete the app, wait a few minutes, re-install the app from the App Store, and then tap 'Restore Subscriptions' in the app. As of this v3.6 release, this bug should now be fixed.
If, after installing this version 3.6 update, you're still not getting your in-app purchased features enabled, please submit a Support ticket from within your app, which provides us with additional diagnostic data, and we'll look into it.
• Additional bug fixes and performance improvements are included in this release.
Ratings and Reviews
Occasionally the app does not respond and freezes.
Not what it used to be
This app used to be amazing, and as a paying customer I feel I’ve been done a disservice with updates that have removed functionality and ease of use that previously made this app great. No longer does it have the very smooth animation and ease of use that one would expect when looking at the current user interface. Where is the option to change how far back in the past to draw data for animation?
It’s truly a disappointment to see that this app has become a facade to sell subscriptions (eg for “future” radar projections).
Developer Response ,
We're sorry to hear you're unhappy with the latest app version 3.x. The weather provider and data that powered the old version was set to be (and has since been) discontinued at the end of 2017. As a result of that change, NOAA Hi-Def Radar for iOS had to either be rebuilt completely or discontinued as a product.
We made the decision to continue the product, and at the same time bring it up to modern iOS standards as the app had not been updated in quite a few years, which caused some technology challenges for both our users as mobile devices evolved and our own development teams having to maintain outdated technology. You are correct that some features of the old app are no longer in the new app due to the technology and data source changes mentioned.
We hope this helps clarify the business and technology reasons why changes were made to the product, in order to keep the app alive.
Regarding your comment about 'the option to change how far back in the past to draw data for animation', if you are referring to the ability to scroll forward and backward in the radar (referred to as the Slider), unfortunately some features of the old app, like the Slider, were not available from the new weather provider due to the technology and data source changes mentioned.
We encourage you to reach out to our Customer Support team with any additional feedback, questions or problems with the app. They can be reached by sending a Support request from within the NOAA Hi-Def Radar app. We are working to improve the app based on user feedback as well.
Developer Response ,
- 42.4 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 WeatherSphere
- In-App Purchases
- Future Weather $0.99
- Lightning Alerts $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.