Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and annotation.
Apple's Mac App of The Year! Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Recognized by Apple as the Best Selling Paid Productivity app in 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013!
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to take notes, sketch ideas, annotate PDFs, mark-up photos, record lectures, provide audio feedback and more. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note taking experience at school, at home, and at work. And with iCloud, your notes are always up to date.
Notability is designed for Mac
- Quickly create notes by dragging documents, photos, or audio recordings from the desktop and dropping onto the library.
- Enhance notes by dragging photos, audio recordings, and PDFs from the desktop and dropping onto a note.
- Get more done with smart keyboard shortcuts.
- Handwriting and sketches can be scaled, transformed, free and constrained rotated, nudged (with arrow keys), and restyled.
Capture memorable notes with these essential features
- Type reports and outlines in a variety of fonts, sizes, colors and styles.
- Text automatically reflows around images.
- Highlight typed text.
- Handwriting has been fine-tuned to be smooth and expressive using a trackpad or mouse.
- Sketch and write using a variety of colors, line widths, and styles.
- Draw perfectly straight lines by holding the Shift key.
- Record audio during lectures and meetings to capture more detail.
- Import audio recordings from other sources.
Audio Recordings: Review and Give Feedback
- Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
- Notes automatically link to recordings, so during playback, you can watch your notes animate along with the recording, or tap them to get to the spot that needs clarifying.
- Teachers can also use these features to provide audio feedback to students.
Import and Annotate PDFs
- Highlight text and Copy & Paste text in PDFs using the Typing tool.
- Search PDF text.
- Mark up lecture slides and meeting agendas or complete class assignments.
- Fill-out, sign, and send forms.
- Import doc and ppt files with the help of Google Drive.
All Electronic Workflow
- Create a paperless classroom -- handout and collect assignments via the cloud.
- Speed-up feedback to students and colleagues using Notability.
- Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
Organize and Share Notes
- Create subjects and simply drag notes into them.
- Share your notes via email, AirDrop, printer, Dropbox, Google Drive, and more.
- Retrieve recently deleted notes from the Mac OS X Trash.
- iCloud automatically syncs all of your notes to iPad, iPhone, and Mac.
- Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive can be used to backup your notes and are great for archiving or recovery.
We hope you enjoy using Notability, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
*** Bug fixes in 2.9.3 ***
• Fixed an issue where a false "subject/divider already exists" error could occur when creating a new subject or divider
• Fixed a crash that could occur with new installations on newer versions of OSX
Ratings and Reviews
Great App, just need a few more features.
*Update* So happy that this dev team responds to requests! All the things mentioned in the previous review are now a reality. Now, I’m ready for them to push the envelope on using #hashtags for sorting notes (e.g. Bear Notes) and provinding a Apple Watch complication for capturing quick speech to text notes (e.g. Bear Notes and Drafts). Aside from that, all the integrations work best here compared to other note taking apps, e.g. using your Apple Pencil. Keep up the good work and the push for 5.5 stars!
I am ready to use this app for everything between my Mac and iOS devices, but still need some basics features to really make it the go to app for note taking. For example, please add the ability to highlight the actual text, rather than just a different layer. This would keep the highlights with the text as it may move up or down the page or get copy/pasted. The drawing highlight is still great, but we need to be able to keep the association of highlights w/ text. Please add these kinds of things before OneNote adds freehand drawing, or it will sink this much more fun and simplier app.
Increasingly a frustrating experience.
As a stand-alone iPad app for highlighting PDFs, it’s great. But if you’d like to sync with your Mac version of Notability to facilitate typing notes, you’re out of luck. Years later, there are still major issues with device syncing. I’ve duplicated my entire set of notes (thousands) multiple times in my efforts to re-sync between devices, and there is no way to identify and delete these duplicates other than clicking and deleting one-by-one. Sure, they put steps on their website to work around the issue, but who has time to reset and redownload thousands of notes between devices with every single use? Customers have pointed out the numerous features that would enhance the usability of the apps - e.g. ability to rotate a document within the app, straighter highliter feature on the desktop similar to what’s on the iPad version, and the numerous suggestions seen below. It’s become abundantly clear that Ginger Labs is resting on the initial fame of Notability and decided “good enough” - there has been little to no progress made in the past several years. Either they lack the staffing or motivation to make ongoing improvements that are necessary from making this app obsolete.
Please add page format like ipad app
I use the app on my iPad pro and it’s the best. I got the mac app because I wanted to be able to see other pages since you can’t split screen notes on the iPad pro. It’s also super useful for studying since I can just look up all the notes I took in class. It also syncs super fast so if I write something on my iPad and look up at the Mac app, it’s usually already there. If I want to print a homework assignment or set of notes, the app also lets your easily output to pdf without any weird reformatting like in OneNote. Thank you so much for all the work and thought that has been placed into these apps. I have some suggestions to improve the app experience for students or at least these are common complaints I hear amongst people I know who also use the Mac app.
1) no handwriting recognition so text is not searchable later on ( like in OneNote or goodnotes)(also not available on the IOS app)
2) can’t alter the color of the page or line style of the page in the Mac app
3) ability to insert shapes
4) ability to open multiple notes in tabs (highly desired in the IOS app)
5) ability to add searchable tags, like adding a tag within a note that says “important” or a star symbol and then being able to search for tags throughout all notes
Thank you again for the apps, they’ve been indespencible.
To anyone thinking of downloading, the IOS version with the apple pencil support is life changing if you take notes often.
- Ginger Labs, Inc.
- 34.5 MB
- English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Ginger Labs, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.