NYTimes - Breaking Election, National & World News
By The New York Times Company
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Introducing the New York Times app for iPad.
Experience The Times’s in-depth journalism, elegantly designed with enhanced imagery and multimedia and streamlined navigation. The NYTimes app also includes our International Edition with global news and cultural content from our 50 bureaus around the world.
• Breaking news alerts: Get notified of major developing stories, and tailor alerts to topics of interest including business, politics and sports
• Morning briefings: Start your day with a tip sheet compiled by Times journalists
• Save articles to read later on any of your devices
• Today widget: Top headlines are always just a swipe away
• Pick up where you left off on another device with Handoff
• International edition: Global news and coverage from dozens of bureaus around the world
• Exclusive videos and award-winning photography
• Customize your list of favorite sections and blogs
The NYTimes app is free to download, and all users can access up to 10 free articles per month, from any section. Subscribers get full access to over 25 sections, plus unlimited access to NYTimes.com, with a Times Digital Subscription.
Subscribe now and your first week is free.*
• Digital Access - unlimited digital access anytime, anywhere, on any device for $14.99 per month or $119.99 per year (save up to $5 per month). Cancel anytime.
• Times Insider - unlimited digital access anytime, anywhere, on any device plus one complimentary digital subscription to share for $24.99 per month. Cancel anytime.
• Times Insider members also receive access to the Times Insider blog, TimesTalks videos, TBooks, special Times crosswords and Times Archives from 1851.
Your subscription will automatically renew each month or year, and your credit card will be charged through your iTunes account. You can turn off auto-renew at any time from your iTunes account settings.
Questions Concerns? Please contact us at email@example.com or (800) 591-9233. We respond to every inquiry.
* Promotional offers for new subscribers only. Not valid for Digital Access $119.99 per year subscription option. Smartphone and tablet apps are not supported on all devices. NYTimes.com + Smartphone Apps, NYTimes.com + Tablet Apps and Digital Access subscriptions do not include e-reader editions, Times Insider content, or The New York Times Crossword. Prices shown are in U.S. dollars. Other restrictions apply.
What's New in Version 3.17
We made some improvements under the hood.
Want to work for our team? Check out the About page in Settings.
As always, email us at iPad@nytimes.com with questions, complaints, or suggestions
My favorite way to read the NYT
Once I started reading the NYT on the iPad and iPhone, I never opened the paper version again. This is the way of the future. I love the ability to save articles indefinitely, which gives me a handy history of the most meaningful articles I've read over the years. If I close my iPad and want to return to the last article I was reading, I double click the home button and swipe through the open apps until I find the NYT. (Otherwise it refreshes the entire paper and returns you to the front page). I love the fact that I can share my subscription with my husband, just the way we used to share our paper subscription. Photos are stunning on the iPad. One thing I'd like to see improved are the ads. There aren't many, but they are sometimes inappropriate, especially on the iPhone: blinking ads or gossip headlines. I wish the NYT would give us some of the same ads that appear in the print edition, ones that are targeted toward their readers. How about putting classified ads under a tab for readers to browse if they wish? I would think this would increase the value of those ads. I'd like to see the NYT thrive financially and I'm willing to see some ads, but I'm surprised that the iPhone/iPad seems neglected in the revenue-producing area. Perhaps the NYT assumes that the website will be our primary electronic interface, but I rarely pull up the times on my computer because I'm usually reading it on the bus.
Great app, a few bugs
The fact the new York Times comes out every day, with its wide range of in-depth stores, is a small miracle. The app makes it easy to read. No ink-stained fingers, no wrestling with the paper to fold it down to a manageable size (although rail and bus commuters into N.Y.C. always amaze me with this skill, like origami experts, so the unfurled broadsheet doesn't steal others' personal space). But there are some glitches. Trying to select a word from the app's stories in order to look it up often doesn't work because the cursor skitters down the page. Also, when I leave an open story on my screen to come back to later, the app closes it and goes back to the overview page. Additionally, I often want to see the print version's front page but it isn't made available. That's a shame, for so many reasons. But the biggest one deals with the actual NYT content. The instances of misspellings, poor grammar usage and other writing problems keep growing greater. This makes it increasingly more frustrating to read. Still, I couldn't do without the paper, need the significantly lower subscription price of the digital version and am grateful for the app.
Love the content, App needs some repairs
Love the quality of reporting. Wish list for app improvements: (1) Let the app stay on page one is reading rather than reverting to main page whenever one closes the iPad OR temporarily switches to another iPad app and back. (2) Fix the glitch that prevents selecting a word for iPad lookup or search. (3) Enable readers to set custom menu items for categories such as SinoSphere or "Asia Pacific" or quick access. Currently there is no place on the app where those are listed, so the only choice we have is either to type in a manual search every time, or create a bookmark on the iPad screen linking to the web edition, and logging in there -- both unnecessarily cumbersome. Thanks!!
PS Update - another glitch that needs repairing: right now -- Jan 2017 -- clickable links within articles don't actually work. Even after multiple clicks, nothing happens!
- Category: News
- Updated: Oct 05, 2016
- Version: 3.17
- Size: 57.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: The New York Times Company (iDP)
- © 2016, The New York Times Company
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- NYTimes.com + Tablet App$19.99
- All Digital Access$34.99
- Digital Access$14.99
- Basic: Annual$129.99
- Times Insider$44.99
- Digital Access - Annual Offer$119.99
- Digital Access - Annual Offer$119.99
- All Access$24.99
- Times Insider$24.99