By Revel Mob
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Old Money is an elegant and easy to use Old Money to Present Values currency converter, using data drawn from original historic documents!
"Old Money" Currency Converter uses historic price data across the centuries to allow you to see what a sum of money from the past (for example, left in a will or paid as wages) would be worth today, and what spending power it would have represented at the time.
You can also use "Old Money" to make sense of information in historical literature or history books. Imagine coming across the following facts:
- Buckingham Palace was sold to the Royal Family in 1761 for £21,000.
- By the morning of 17 December 1773 Boston tea-party protesters had thrown more than 90,000 lbs of tea to the waters of Boston Harbour, worth an estimated £10,000.
- It is estimated that William Shakespeare's salary as an actor before 1599 was circa £100 a year.
- The London Underground Central line opened on 30th July 1900 and had a flat fee of 2 pence, giving the line its nickname "The Two-penny Tube".
Do you know what these values would be today? "Old Money" provides the answers!
The knowledge and resources of The National Archives, medieval historian Nick Barratt and app designer RevelMob have combined to create the ultimate iPhone app, allowing you instant access to historic prices over time. You can also see what each sum of money would have bought in the relevant century, plus find out a bit more about what life was like at the time - how people travelled around, or what food they would have eaten.
For those who want to find out the TRUE value of history - this is a MUST download app!
What's New in Version 1.2
The app was only partially compatible with iOS3.0 - now the issue has finally been fixed.
Needs to be updated to include 2012
I've been looking for an app like this for sometime. Very easy to use, it's a simple program. My biggest concern is that the latest year it converts to is 2005. I would like to see the app not only convert to current prices, but projected future prices as well.
This is, without doubt, the worst app I have ever gotten. After you go to history you can't get back to the currency converter. Save your .99
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Apr 29, 2011
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 6.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Revel Group
- © The National Archives, RevelMob and Nick Barratt
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.