Outread – Speed Reading
By Arkadiusz Holko
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Speed-read websites, ebooks and documents. Outread improves reading effectiveness by helping you to focus on reading small chunks of text at a time. You can either follow the highlighter along the page or keep it centered.
“A clear winner in the speed-reading category” — AppAdvice
“You're in luck, because Outread will help you get through them [articles] and learn speed-reading in the process.” — Lifehacker
Featured by Apple in “Train Your Brain” section
- Universal app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- Made with newest iOS in mind: Document Picker support, background syncing, multiple font sizes and a URL Scheme
- Sync with Instapaper, Pinboard, Pocket, and Readability
- Add your own ebooks (DRM-free ePub) or read free classic novels from the built-in library
- Add Microsoft Word, .rtf and .txt documents or read the clipboard contents
- Add from Safari via the bookmarklet or paste the URL inside the app
- Everything is saved for offline reading
- Follow the highlighter along the page (Guided Reading) or keep the highlighted phrase in the center of the screen (RSVP)
- Adjust the reading speed and the highlighter size (length of the chunk of text you read at once)
- 2 themes (Day & Night) and 5 fonts to suit all reading conditions
- Monitor your progress with reading stats
- Auto archive items once they’re read
- Filter (by services or tags) and sort (by date, length or title) the items
- In order to reduce distractions, items are stripped from unnecessary content – what’s left is the leading photo and the text
- Sync between iPhone and iPad versions is currently available only via Instapaper, Pinboard, Pocket and Readability
- DRM-protected ebooks (Kindle and most of iBooks ebooks) are not supported
You can see the video of the app on our website: http://outreadapp.com
If you have any questions or suggestions, you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or @OutreadApp on Twitter.
What's New in Version 1.4.2
- Fixes issue with encoding of some characters in some of the articles (you have to log out and log in again to Instapaper/Pocket/Pinboard to have this issue fixed)
- Adds better selection of font sizes (FINALLY!)
- Adds support for 12.9-inch iPad Pro
- Removes Readability support because the service is closing soon
Doesn't support PDFs
Yeah, doesn't support PDFs.
The best RSVP option
I took some time to test this app before writing this review. I wanted to become familiar with it.
I absolutely love using this. I use Spritz on my browser, and I use WordRunner on Kindle. And I have to say that this app provides me with a comparable, if not superior, experience.
Doesn't read many common files incl PDFs