Oxford Russian Dictionary, 4th Edition
By MobiSystems, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
This Fourth Edition of the Oxford Russian Dictionary is an invaluable text for any serious student of Russian, or any Russian native speaker learning English.
* Over 500,000 words, phrases and translations
* Includes hundreds of new words, in both Russian and English
* Extensive treatment of Russian declension and conjugations
* Cultural notes elucidate aspects of Russian life
* Detailed coverage of the latest vocabulary in Russian and English, including business, specialist, and computing terminology
This is a mobile dictionary with content from Oxford University Press and advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems.
SEARCH TOOLS – effortlessly find words using a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface. The integrated search tools activate automatically the moment you start typing:
* Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
* Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
* An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
* Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
LEARNING TOOLS – engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
* ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
* ‘Recent’ list to help you easily review looked-up words
* ‘Word of the day’ section to help expand your vocabulary every day
If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions please contact us directly at email@example.com.
What's New in Version 8.2.2
* Optimised for iOS 10!
* New camera search feature looks up words in your camera's viewfinder
* Integrated audio pronunciations for both English and Russian
* Bug fixes and performance improvements
Good but needs improvement
I like how this dictionary has a satisfactory amount of words ranging in the hundreds of thousands, and I like that they have different sections in the definition of a word so one can see how to use the word in different contexts and generally see how it is used. I also love how they added a pronunciation feature so now I can hear how the word is prounounced. That being said, they need to do more work on defining the distinctions between similiar words. For example, посещать and навещать both mean "to visit", but there is still a slight shade of difference between these words. посещать is usually used when saying you are visiting a museum or someone you are not that close with, while навещать is used when visiting people who are close friends or family. There are a lot of words like this in Russian, so when the dictionary just has the same definition for both words and doesn't define in what situations you can use each of them, it makes things difficult. Words like либо/или. Also, words that don't have an English equivalent need a big explanation. Like тоска, which is written as "melancholy/anguish", but is actually a complex Russian emotion of dissatisfaction that has a large scale of shades ranging from boredom to heartache.
So many great reasons to hate this app
Oxford has broken all the rules with their English-Russian dictionary. First, you don't charge old customers more money for reduced functionality. Second, you don't set up a new app that strips away all of the user preference data so that language learners lose their capacity to track progress. And third, you don't advertise features that don't exist.
There were some bugs in the old app. It loaded slowly and its orientation was somehow restricted whenever switching between apps. But its basic functionality was much more adequate than the current version. Oxford ought to refund all its app sales from this app, sell it for $5 or less, and then increase the price when a meaningful feature set has been implemented.
Now, in the new app, the app nags repeatedly for a review. So, here is a review. I use it. I hate it.
Shame on Oxford
How despicably, shamelessly awful this once-great app has become is easily demonstrated by the fact that I've been compelled to keep one of my iOS devices forever in iOS 7.1 just so it can run the proper earlier version of the dictionary done by Paragon software. This version is an utter embarrassment: extremely slow, glitchy, and with only a small fraction of the features that were once available. Until this is resolved, I will be boycotting all OUP books and products.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Sep 17, 2016
- Version: 8.2.2
- Size: 64.6 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan
- Seller: MobiSystems, Inc.
- © 2016 MobiSystems, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.