PBPhonics is for adults and young adults studying basic English literacy, including those learning English as a second language. It offers students the opportunity to:
1. Hear the phonemes that make up a word
2. Hear those phonemes run together to make the word
3. Hear the whole word
4. Record themselves speaking the word and compare their recording with PBPhonics
5. Take tests matching word sounds to their written form
Instruction is provided through animated gestures, with no dependence on written or spoken instructions. The vocabulary and test complexity start simply and automatically adapt as the student passes tests and gains confidence. Teachers may also choose appropriate levels and review student progress on the ⓘ screen.
PBPhonics 1 to 7 contains 42 phonemes in 7 sets (S,A,T,I,P,N; CK,E,H,R,M,D; G,O,U,L,F,B; AI,J,OA,IE,EE,OR; Z,W,NG,V,oo,OO; and Y,X,CH,SH,th,TH). These are used to build 619 words. Some words have pictures and others have spoken sentences to provide context. The words and phonemes have an Australian accent, and have been recorded with multiple voices for variety. Teachers may replace word and phoneme sounds with their own recordings.
For a free sample of PBPhonics, try PBPhonics 1 to 3, also from Cowirrie. This contains the first 18 phonemes and 278 words from PBPhonics 1 to 7.
- Improved feedback when completing a test unlocks more words.
- Makes full use of all iPad, iPhone and iPod touch screen sizes.
- Improved use of landscape orientation on iPad.
- Allows Split View on supporting iPads.
- Can switch to landscape on iPhone and iPod touch.
Ratings and Reviews
With the ability to record the sounds (a bit tricky) this app is awesome for teaching reading & spelling!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.