• Detailed worldwide maps and travel guides • Works completely offline even with GPS • Great when abroad, NO data roaming charges • Online routing and much more!
« Reviews »
“I love this technology” – Natali Morris, Tech Reporter, NBC’s Today Show
Editor's Pick Best Offline Map App – thedigitaltrekker.com
“The best travel app in the world… Don’t leave home without it!” – bonvoyageurs.com
“Very impressive app with unmatched features.” – toptenreviews.com
« Maps »
• Beautiful Retina quality maps at a fraction of the size! The fastest and most beautiful offline maps on the App Store!
• Detailed and interactive worldwide maps! More than 100,000 places & completely free!
• Access your maps online and offline! Saves on data roaming costs!
• Personalize the maps to show the info you want!
• Online Routing with voice guided turn by turn directions. Save your multi-stop itineraries for offline navigation!
• Online street address search and contacts integration!
• Did we mention everything is offline? Works anywhere- cities, small towns, even in the middle of nowhere. Never any roaming charges. We dare you to try it!
« For the Traveler »
• Find out about thousands of interesting places - hotels, restaurants, bars, tourist sites, even get metro and public transit info!
• Our super wide area Nearby search is also super fast!
• Have all the travel info you need with more than 25,000 detailed Wikivoyage Travel Guides and more than 1 million Wikipedia articles in 7 languages!
• Customizable Pins and favorites groups! Add notes and mark and share favorite spots!
• Share maps links and your current location (SMS, Facebook, WhatsApp, Email, etc)!
« For the Adventurer »
• An in-app purchase option offers topographic maps. Get high performance, high accuracy 10m / 50ft contour display world-wide. The ONLY offline app that lets you download large areas, even entire countries! Contours are displayed on our existing maps for all Activities.
• Hiking and Cycling maps! Great for geocaching and getting off the track!
• GPS track recording lets you see what route you took! Great for hikes, cycling and off road! Never get lost again!
• Import/Export support for GPX and CSV files! Share with friends using PE Archives.
• Displays and lets you search for map coordinates (including DD, DDM, DMS, MGRS, UTM/UPS, GeoHash, and what3words)!
• Numerous GPS settings for your preferred configuration including compass and heading arrow or rotation, look ahead mode, accuracy and recording settings.
...and much more - so try it out!
« How's it Work? »
Just select the cities, regions, or even whole countries you want to download, and it will be available for offline use, complete with information on thousands of POIs (Points of Interest), travel guides and Wikipedia articles.
To do this we utilize community driven open data from a number of amazing projects. We use some magik to compress and package it in a format optimized for mobile devices. Pocket Earth then renders its beautiful vector maps on your device using our OpenGL ES based MagikMap technology.
To learn more about Pocket Earth or the community driven open data sources that we use, please visit our website.
Don’t forget this:
1. Using the GPS features of this app can significantly affect battery life. Only leave GPS enabled when you need to use it. Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. Pocket Earth only uses GPS in the background for route navigation and gps track recording features.
2. This app uses data from the amazing community driven open mapping project called openstreetmap.org! Coverage detail may vary by region, please visit our website to check the map detail for your regions of interest.
3. Does not currently support all asian texts on the map (Chinese, Japanese, etc).
Bug and stability fixes. New geodesic line routing mode and a GPX waypoint to route import option. Now supports OLC (Open Location Codes) coordinates, also known as plus codes.
Ratings and Reviews
Best offline maps solution
This might be my first app review but I felt compelled to write one because I don’t believe this app gets enough recognition. I like to do a lot of hiking and of all the apps I’ve tried (All Trails, Gaia, Avenza, OffMaps, MapMyHike, etc..) this is by far the best and most feature-filled one. Downloading maps is a breeze and the amount of detail that can be seen is surprising give how little storage space the downloads occupy. It’s very easy to import and save gpx tracks and saving offline driving directions is a cool feature you don’t see in other apps. One feature I would love to see however is the ability to draw/plan routes within the app (with distance and elevation gain stats). In addition to all the cool feature, this is also the cheapest solution considering that it’s a one-time payment instead of a subscription based model. I seriously can’t recommend this app enough!!
Swiss Army Knife of Map Apps
I've been using this reliable app for about two years and consider it to be the Swiss Army Knife of Map apps. It has a unique, well thought out user interface that's worth the effort to learn.
The Pin feature is useful for marking and organizing points of interest in advance and during your travels. You can chose from a number of icon and color combinations.
The Track feature is great for recording and organizing your travels on foot, by bike and by car. These tracks can be split into segments simply by stopping then resuming recording so you can get a logical breakdown of track segments as you go.
It's easy to create, organize and edit multiple Routes so not only can you plan the way to a given destination ahead of time but also any day trips and other excursions for when you get there. Although the routing feature requires an internet connection, like many map apps, it only needs the internet during creation, not while you are using it. Just be sure to download the applicable maps before you go.
Finally, I have come to appreciate the Nearby feature which lets you find places of interest around a selected location.
Pocket Earth Pro
Pocket Earth Pro is a great resource for those interested in traveling, adventures of those who just want to access maps for almost every location around the world. Almost any helpful information you can think of can be used for assistance. Whether individual travel guides for numerous locations, Wikipedia articles to provide information on locations, whether large maps of known and unknown areas that can be downloaded and accessed offline Pocket Earth has it. Most importantly the app is easy to navigate and use which can sometimes not be true of an application brimming with information. The side bar can be used to access a category or customize your personal settings. Pocket Earth is an application well worth a download whether the free or Pro version.
- GeoMagik LLC
- 50.1 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2012 GeoMagik LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Topographic Maps $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.