Port Tools Lite
By Daniel Muehlbachler
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
* * * Overview * * *
This app is a great addition for IT administrators by providing a simple port knocker and scanner as well as ping, traceroute and DNS resolution.
* * * Features * * *
- Send a port knocking sequence to one of your servers to open or close a port
- Save your port knocking configurations
- iCloud sync of port knocking configurations
- Scan one port or a whole port range for their state (open/closed)
- Perform a ping with customizable interval, timeout and packet count
- Perform a traceroute with customizable timeout, ping count per hop and maximum number of hops
- DNS resolution (only IPv4)
* * * Differences of the Pro and Lite version * * *
- maximum port scan range is 10 ports
- maximum number of ports to knock is 3
- maximum number of stored knock configurations is 3
- export port knocking configurations
- maximum hop count is 20
- no rDNS resolution
- no share feature
- Ad supported
* * * Analytics information * * *
I reserve the right to gather anonymous usage data. However, there will NEVER be private/personal data transfered. I just use this to improve most used features first!
* * * What is a port knocker? * * *
With port knocking you can secure services behind a firewall and if you need to connect to them you must send the specific port knocking sequence first. Afterwards, the requested port gets opened.
Here is a simple example: imagine you have SSH installed on your server but don't want to open the SSH port (usually 22) to everybody. In fact, you can just install a port knocking daemon and secure the SSH port behind a firewall. If you now want to connect to your server using SSH you can't do so until you have sent the port knocking sequence that opens the firewall for your current IP address.
Further information can be found at the Wikipedia site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_knocking
What's New in Version 3.0.2