pTerm - SSH, Telnet Client and Terminal Emulator
By Instant Cocoa
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
pTerm provides an SSH, Telnet, and raw TCP client for your iPhone or iPod Touch! It is based on the popular desktop client 'PuTTY'.
* xterm terminal emulation
* Customizable terminal size (80x24 default)
* SSH, Telnet, or "raw" TCP connections
* Ctrl, Esc, Tab, PgUp, PgDn, and arrow key support
* RSA/DSA Key generation and authentication
* Integrated browser - no more popping out to Safari to check something. Browser keeps state, so you can pop back and forth between the terminal and browser.
* Tunneling support - useful from the browser
* Logging options; view logs, email logs
* SOCKS4, SOCKS5, HTTP, and Telnet proxy support
* Landscape and Portrait modes
* Works over Edge, 3G, or WiFi
* Stores your list of host/port/protocol for convenient access
* Terminal supports pinch and zoom
* Based on PuTTY, a stable and feature-rich code base
NOTE TO iPad USERS: Bluetooth keyboards are supported, but the full key set is not available via the Apple-provided SDK (yet). Ctrl, Alt, Esc, etc. are not available via the Bluetooth keyboard but are still available on-screen. Full keyboard support will come as soon as Apple makes it available.
What's New in Version 1.4
Clearer font rendering
I was hoping it could have more than one connection open at a time, but it closes a connection if you go back to the list of servers. The terminal does not automatically resize, nor is it set to take up the full screen. I may set my editor to 80char width, but I'd prefer the terminal to go full width by default (if I am not using multiple windows).
I could live with those issues... but not being able to use ctrl, esc, etc on my bluetooth keyboard is a killer for me. Way to slow to reach out and press the buttons on the screen if you touch type.
The good news is the terminal emulation seems pretty good as I was able to use several curses clients with out problems and the issues I have should be fixable with an update. Hopefully thats soon. I'll come back for another review if so.
Very good, but not perfect
If you have used and like Putty this is the app for you. Since downloading this app I regularly use my iPad to access the server at work for computing purposes including using R, executing shell, tcl, and perl scripts. Emacs is difficult to use (more difficult than normal) with this app. Overall this is an excellent terminal app. However, I am disappointed with the aesthetics of the app. I am using an iPad Retina display and the app does not use all of the screen real estate. Also, the scroll back doesn't appear to go back very far despite my attempts to change it. I have not experienced the issues with zooming mentioned in other reviews.
Great ssh app
I love this app I am able to ssh to Army of my cisco devices including my CUCM servers and do what I can with it like I was using my secureCRT by cli. I have monitored and started upgrades for my CUCM severs and swithed partitions with this. I would recomend it greatly.
I like the iPad version as well. Have not had any issues so far.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Jun 05, 2010
- Version: 1.4
- Size: 1.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Eric Maland
- © Eric Maland
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.