By Oliver Grimm
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Red Koto is a growing collection of tunings by Koto Virtuoso Chieko Mori. Red Koto can be used for tuning the Instrument by ear, for studying scales, or for playing with the different tunings.
Each tuning refers to a composition by Chieko Mori, written especially for learning Koto Music at her "Koto Studio" school in Tokyo.
Sounds are played both picked with the left hand and plucked with the right hand using ivory picks.
On the left side of the screen the pitch for each string is shown. When touched, a triangle wave with the corresponding frequency is played until deselected.
The middle of the screen represents the 13 strings of the Koto, each string plays a plucked sound at the corresponding pitch.
To the right side the number of the string is shown in Japanese, touching each number produces a plucked sound.
Except where noted differently, tunings are based on a root note of 442 Hertz.
Scores for the compositions based on the Red Koto tunings are available. Please contact for further information.
CHIEKO MORI KOTO STUDIO TOKYO
What's New in Version 2.0
- Red Koto now plays back audio even with the ringer/silent switch set to silent.
- New tuning function: touching the notes on the left side of the screen produces a sustained triangle wave. this can be useful for tuning the instrument in noisier environments.
- The picked sound is now played back when touching the string number on the right side of the screen.
- New tunings: Tsubame 1-4, Ascension, After the Rain.
- Renamed tunings: Island -> Colors in Kerala’s Sky, Hen Jyoshi -> Quiet Church
- Many bug fixes and small improvements.
- Category: Music
- Updated: Apr 27, 2017
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 27.4 MB
- Languages: English, Japanese
- Seller: Oliver Grimm
- © 2017 Oliver Grimm
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.