By Nexvio Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
ReelDirector is the 1st and the most feature rich, powerful video editor for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
✩ APPLE's Rewind 2010 - Hot Trends in Apps
✩ APPLE's Rewind 2009 - BEST APP
If you really dig video editing and want to take full control, you should get ReelDirector:
☑ High quality HD output, only re-compress when necessary, quality loss due to editing is minimal.
☑ Highly customizable text treatment - where you want it, how you want it.
☑ Unique transitions: out of focus fade, white out - 28 in total.
☑ Use your own intro and splash videos that were not recorded with iPhone.
☑ Real multitasking, renders in the background and no need to restart the whole export if interrupted.
✎ MEDIA COVERAGE
"ReelDirector is a powerful, easy-to-use, and fun iPhone app for creating videos with titles and effects."
"File this one under “sent from the future”. ReelDirector is a pretty full-featured movie editor" ... "a quite amazing demonstration of the march of technology."
— Wired.com Gadget Lab
- Splice, trim, split video clips
- Timeline: scrollable, seekable within clips, easy to arrange order
- Preview: full preview of frame at current timeline position, with watermarks and transition applied
- Record soundtracks and adjust position, volume and fade in/out
- Trim: you can keep original and go back to revise, or make a final cut
- Split: cut video into 2 or 3 clips seamlessly
- Add Ken Burns effect to photo and Video
- Add title and subtitle to opening, closing and/or each clip with adjustable length and fonts
- Combine 8 styles and 9 positions to create 72 different appearances
- Automatically fade in and fade out texts
Animated preview for each transition, easy to find the one you like.
1. Automatically insert transitions between each clip in your project, just pick one in Project Properties; or
2. Add/change transition for each clip while editing.
- Cross Dissolve
- Fade Through Black/White
- Flash Through Black/White
- Blur Fade (fade out of focus)
- Blur Cross (first scene fades out of focus)
- Wipe Left/Right/Up/Down
- Wipe Soft Left/Right/Up/Down
- Wipe Blend Left/Right/Up/Down
- Push Left/Right/Up/Down
- Push Left/Right/Up/Down with Border
- On iPad with iOS 4.2 update, HD videos are supported.
- New iPod Touch (4th generation) is fully supported.
What's New in Version 3.2
- Import music from iPod music library (iOS 4 only)
- Support iPhone 4 retina display
- Upload to YouTube within app
- Improved HD video quality on iPhone 4
- Improved photo render quality
Great Little App
With proper planning, using this app to make videos is enjoyable and productive. Since you can't see a preview of your final product, you should expect to have to visualize what your final product will look/sound like based on the clips you've selected (thus the need for planning). If you keep this in mind when purchasing the App, you should be happy with this handy bit of software. Rendering times are reasonable for the hardware being used.
Major pros of Reel Director are its tools to insert text and the various transitions provided for selection between clips. Clips can be easily dragged and dropped to rearrange your video project's timeline, as well as split or trimmed as needed. Reel Director supports HD (not that the HD quality is so robust on the the hardware in question).
The only major con I'd list is the lack of a full preview prior to rendering.
Finally, I've noticed that a number of people have complained about rendering times, but I suspect faulty expectations are often in play here. Think about the size/speed of processor in an iPhone or iPod Touch. I put together a three minute, fourteen second project with opening credits, closing credits, and transitions between nine different clips. I rendered the project three times after making adjustments, and all renderings completed within twelve to fifteen minutes each time. Given the hardware, I'm working with, this is entirely reasonable.
I must say, after buying iMovie and then buying this app, i am VERY impressed with this app. It is rich with features which is great since iMovie has pretty much none. I would give this a 5 BUT its flaws are major!!
- 29 transitions (iMovie 3)
- 37 fonts. (iMovie 1)
- 9 Positions for font (iMovie 3)
- 4 Font styles (iMovie 1)
- Change lenght of title (iMovie, stays on entire clip)
- Split movies (iMovie cant)
- Pan and zoom on photo & video. (iMovie cant)
- Cant preview movie before rendering. This a MAJOR flaw! In order for me to preview what i have done, i have to render movie. I can play the clips but if i want to see it with effects (Title, zoom) i have to render entire clip which brings me to next point...
- Rendering is PAINFULY LONG!!! I mean, i created a 30 second clip and had to render to see title and zoom video. That took me over 5 minutes. IMovie would have done it in maybe 1, but then again, i can preview the entire movie before i render in iMovie.
Please update the app and add these essential features. With those features, this app would be 5 stars, must buy but because of those major flaws, i cant recommend this to friends. With all the features it has, those flaws make it almost impractical to even use. I could deal with rendering times if i could only preview entire movie without rendering, like iMovie does. If i could do that, then i could care less if it took 24hrs to render.
Will update review, as updates come along.
Has potential. But serious challenges!
The app has great potential. The various options in the app are good for allowing the videographer to have some fun effects within the app out of the store.
Te app has a serious challenge with the rendering, however. One being intelligent enough to know when to simply copy a frame versus extracting and decompressing each frame is a serious flaw and impacts the performance of the app horribly.
It appears that the app is extracting each frame from the source video stream, writing it out and applying the digital effects on each frame. While this might make sense from a processing state, please evaluate this as a performance problem that takes at least two stars off the ratings you get.
There's an issue with the pre-rendering of video and scrubbing. The scrub effect as well as playback preview are still raw and very slow. As said before, this app would benefit greatly from simple optimization of render versus simple frame copy.
Finally, the render and the compress: what is going there? Rendering the final product makes sense, a final compress takes the file down 50-75 percent, which is nice, but still seems weird to have to do.
I really want to use this app, but until it can render well and scrub, iMovie still rates higher. Too bad because iMovie has serious flaws with video import...
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Aug 06, 2010
- Version: 3.2
- Size: 9.6 MB
- Languages: English, Chinese, Japanese
- Seller: NEXVIO INC.
- © Nexvio Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.