By Monterey Bay Aquarium
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Seafood Watch recommendations help you choose ocean-friendly seafood at your favorite restaurants and stores. Our redesigned app makes it easier than ever to get the latest recommendations for seafood and sushi, learn more about the seafood you eat, and locate or share businesses that serve sustainable seafood.
- Get free, up-to-date seafood recommendations
- Search for seafood quickly and easily by common market name
- Search for sushi by Japanese name as well as common market name
- Add restaurants and stores where you've found ocean-friendly seafood and locate businesses where others have found sustainable seafood
- Access in-depth conservation notes and reports
What's New in Version 4.0
- New, interactive design makes it easier to find recommendations and highlights the key factors that determine sustainability
- Color-coded recommendations are easier to read
- New species summary pages offer a quick overview of each seafood item
- Users can now report businesses serving ocean-friendly seafood without having to log in
- Users can move easily to the Seafood Watch website for more detailed information
- Fixes bug that caused app to crash on launch
- Bug fixes
Recommend adding Mercury info
App has good info on sustainability, but sorely lacks info on mercury levels, and can lead to consumers making a poor choice for their own health. For example, king mackerel has one of the highest level of mercury (according to National Resources Defense Council), but this app shows 3 out of 4 choices as "best choice" (based on sustainability) and color coded green, which may lead consumers to purchase when it's actually very harmful to them. Please consider adding mercury information to the entries so we can all make informed decisions that are healthy for the environment as well as ourselves.
Also a usability suggestion: after viewing an entry from search results, please make the back button go back to the search results instead of the entire list. Sometimes I search for a fish and want to check out each of its varieties, but the back button takes me all the way back to the beginning. Please go back to the search results from a specific entry.
My favorite app, but now crashes when I use it!
Was disappointed to discover yesterday that this app no longer works on my phone (perhaps due to the recent updates?). It now crashes every time I open it. I even tried reinstalling it and still had with the same problem. I wound up having to use the Seafood Watch website to double check some choices while at the grocery store yesterday. I don't mind having to refer to their site as a temporary solution, but would love this app to be fixed so that I can easily refer to it again when shopping and going to out eat!
The app stalls on opening wile it updates the database. Then, if you close and reopen it works, sometimes, for a few minutes at most before crashing. After a few of these cycles, it stops displaying information at all and returns no results when you type something common like "salmon". Sustainability is a huge consideration in my food choices and I really depend on sources like this for accurate information... trouble is, it must be available to me at the point of sale!
- Category: Lifestyle
- Updated: Feb 24, 2015
- Version: 4.0
- Size: 19.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Monterey Bay Aquarium
- © Monterey Bay Aquarium
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.