Simple but powerful Japanese-English, English-Japanese dictionary app.
The app's features include:
● Over 170.000 dictionary entries with readings and english meaning
● Over 6.500 kanji characters with stroke order
● Over 730.000 Japanese names, place names and institution names
● Over 147.000 example sentences with translation
● Instantaneous search results
● Character input by kanji and kana handwriting recognition. Recognition algorithm can handle wrong stroke order and small mistakes.
● When multiple similar characters are found, you don't need to redo drawing after each character - just long press to see a preview
● Search by kanji radicals (for example 日 and 月 will find 明)
● Wildcard search - "*" can replace any number of characters and "?" can replace any single character. Works both with English and Japanese words.
● Search by kanji, kana and romaji - "じしょ", "じsho" and "jisho" will give the same search results
● Kanji lists by JLPT level and school grade (1 - 6)
● Multiple word lists divided by subject, grammatical function, JLPT level and more
- more UI fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Must have app if you learning Japanese
I already loved this app and used it daily but with the new update which, lets you search for sample sentences, it now has absolutely everything I asked for. (I like it so much I actually voluntarily came to write this review without it asking me to, like some other apps) All the different categories that everything is split up into makes it really easy to focus on a specific topic. It shows you a variety of words/phrases which can help you express yourself better than if you had stuck with the basics taught in school. One of my favorite parts is that it shows you the context in which they're used, by showing a bunch of sample sentences. A lot of other dictionary apps would just translate a word with little to no additional info which is why Jisho stood out to me so much. I was honestly surprised it was free AND ad free. It's worth at least trying out if your studying Japanese no matter what level your in.
A Jisho of exceptional quality
I have not yet fully delved into this app to test all of its features and abilities; however, from what I have seen, I am quite impressed.
This app allows one to write a kanji into a blank space and proceeds to pulls up the kanji that was attempted, or others similar in structure. Essentially, it’s perfect for one who is learning kanji, or needs a quick reference/ answer to a kanji encountered but not familiar.
On top of that, it includes accurate usage, sentences, and points of reference for individual words or ideas.
And to cap that all off, it’s free!
If you are a speaker of the Japanese language and/or are in the process of learning it, this app will be of immense benefit to you. From quick reference, to gaining a more clearer understanding.
A must have app. Nice and clean interface. Cool features.
I’ve been using this app for 6 months and totally in love with it. It’s totally free and ad free. The best thing about Jisho is that not only can you look up new words but also search for names and examples. You can also put a note on a word or using your own modified flash card to memorize (which is super cool for memorizing bunch of vocabularies and kanji).
The only thing i would love to see more in Jisho is more radicals’. Some of radicals are not there and some are listed as radical ( + number) but no meaning written down.
On overall, this is the best dictionary app i’ve ever used. Thank you for the great job!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.