SkyLogger is a program for obtaining and storing flight data. The program is especially adapted for the usage by glider, hangglider and paraglider pilots.
SkyLogger obtains the geodetic positions of the pilot during the flight and stores the data. Furthermore, the pilot is able to see during the flight the elapsed time, the distance to the take-off as well as the current ground speed and climb rate. A compass rose is indicating the current flight direction.
For competitions the pilot's and the aircraft's name, the aircraft's ID and the to be flown route can be entered. During the flight the direction and distance to the next waypoint are shown on the display.
After finishing the flight the stored geodetic data together with the data for the competition can be converted into the common IGC file format. Additionally, also other popular formats like GPX and KML are supported. The created files are stored on the iPhone or can be sent to servers or other computers.
SkyLogger supports besides others the following features:
- control by Apple Watch;
- main data visualization on Apple Watch;
- cockpit / instrument view;
- 2D & 3D flight data visualization;
- downloadable map data;
- large and individually adaptable instruments on a moving map allow best viewing comfort;
- north or in flight direction orientation of moving map;
- live tracking support for Leonardo or Vgps servers
- visualization of previously flown flights as track traces on moving map;
- visualization of airspaces with user defined colors;
- instrument showing the distance and direction to the closest airspace;
- 3 axis acceleration measurements;
- tracked flights are stored in highly efficient internal database;
- default flight parameters can be stored and retrieved to make flight information entering for competitions easier;
- SkyLoggerXXL supports common file formats like IGC, CSV, GPX and KML;
- IGC files created by SkyLoggerXXL are OLC conform and can directly be sent to Leonardo, XCCup, XContest and XC globe based OLC servers;
- calculation of XC points for FAI triangle, triangle and free distance over 5 points;
- XC analysis (determination of FAI triangle areas);
- printing of flightbooks, flight information and statistics
- all diagrams, maps or charts can either be e-mailed or copied for incorporation into other apps;
- integration of SkyView database for exchanging waypoints;
- support of FlyNet accessories;
- support of SensBox;
- weather data history of selected weather stations for the last 48 hours;
- online wind speed and direction visualization on maps for selected weather stations;
- visualization of hotspots;
- visualization of regions with thermals;
- visualization of climb rate traces;
- and much much more!
Warning: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Besides bug fixes this version implements an improved airspace indicator and uses as a default altitude instrument the built-in pressure sensor.
Improved airspace indicator: When being close to an airspace the airspace indicator visualises already the vertical height with respect to the airspace in flying direction. In the past the vertical height was only shown when being below, in or above an airspace.
Pressure sensor used by altimeter: the built-in pressure sensor (if available) is much more reliable in determining the altitude than a GPS sensor. Therefore, the pressure sensor becomes the default setting. This default setting can of course changed in the instrument’s settings.
PS: Uploading files via FTP will not be supported anymore in the next release!
Ratings and Reviews
Top service for less money
The latest version of SkyLogger is amazing. The program runs stable and recordings are reliable. There are some good features and hopefully more to come.
The program only runs when open in the foreground and with sufficient memory - so best performance is achieved if this is the only app running (i.e. no music) and left alone until the end of the flight. The integrated HELP menu is very useful to adjust settings and can be found in the preference section.
I hope for some improvements with the use of waypoints, integration of some navigation to the next point, as well as remaining glide distance (altitude remaining when at the waypoint). Another improvement for the program would be if the software become approved for validation with OLC (onlinecontest) to upload flight files for scoring.
Keep It Simple. Please
This app is not user friendly. I wish I could get my $5 back since the application didn't record the track of my epic flight today. I can appreciate the effort to write an application for comps, but make it for the days you fly for fun.
1. Make it possible to click start, stop, and save without any setup of waypoints, track names...
2. Store the file kmz format.
3. Provide a feature to email track file (FTP was a hassle)
Trails does a much better job storing your track and the make it easy to get the track.
Units option request
Would love to see a non-metric units option!! Keep up the good work!
- 43.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © skywind
- In-App Purchases
- Live Tracking $2.99
- Airspaces $4.99
- Track traces $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.