Skype for iPad
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Stay in touch with free video calls, voice calls and messaging on Skype.
- Talk face to face with a video call.
- New group video calls with up to 25 people.
- Free voice calls to anyone else on Skype. Add up to 25 people on a group call.
- Message your friends in an instant and add up to 300 people to a group chat.
- Call mobiles and landlines at low rates (Skype to Skype calls are always free).
- Share photos, video messages, your location and add emoticons and Mojis to your chat.
- Skype’s available on smartphones, tablets, PCs, Macs, and even some TVs. Now it’s even easier to stay connected to friends and family – no matter the device they’re on.
- Available for Apple Watch – your notifications and chats available on your wrist.
iOS 8.0 or above (If you are using iOS 7 or earlier, you can download the last compatible version by tapping install/update and following the prompt to download.)
What's New in Version 6.35.1
Welcome to Skype for iPad.
We're constantly working to make Skype better for you.
In this release, we've included a number of general improvements and feature updates to make Skype better for you.
Please continue to send us feedback, we're listening!
Really great voice quality but interface needs work
After I unbundled my cable and chose to drop my IP "landline" I needed an alternative to mobile phone communication for calls from the US to Australia (hopelessly garbled and unacceptable delays), I tried using Skype for iPad with a handset for voice only calls. It's great!! Very clear voice on both landline and mobile connections, although there is still quite a bit of latency but that's something we all have to learn how to deal with.
Two downsides. I still have occasional calls where the bandwidth gradually disappears during the call (something Skype always has a problem with, still needs better implementation of end-to-end TOS) and I eventually realize I can't hear the other end and they can't hear me, so I have to hang up and call again.
And the other thing that I see as a real problem is the dialler interface! I want to be able to call a number, I don't want to create contacts. I'm still not sure how I do that, and it's frustrating and time-consuming. But if you're able to use your contact list you'll be OK. My contact list is imported from my phone and it has international dial numbers, which Skype doesn't use.
Take some time to really look at all the features this app offers. You will be surprised at how many things you can do on the app and how many face-to-face meetings just this single app can eliminate from your life without the complexities and fees associated with some similar applications.
I have been a regular user of Skype since shortly after it was first released to the public in the early 2000's and you could only do live chatting. Since that time I have grown with the program and have regularly used the iPad app for giving and receiving video lessons with Skype users literally around the world. I've experienced a user sharing her screen to help me understand concepts she sought to illustrate. I have also regularly received phone calls on my cell phone from family in another part of the country which they made to me using Skype.
If the parties have even a decent internet connection, the quality is more than acceptable. (My connections with parties in parts of Africa and China were sometimes poor so we eliminated video and used strictly voice.) If the connection to the net is quite good, the quality of the voice and even video calls is just amazing.
It has so many features now, I won't name them all. Just know that I have at each stage of the app's development benefitted from the improvements and the quality of the support.
This is an essential in my personal and business tool box on both my iPhone and my iPad.
Lots of problems 🤦🏼♀️
Well, skype is a good way to text, but the calls can be really sketchy sometimes. Even the texting has some issues. When you text, a lot of times after the update (A few weeks after an update, maybe a few months) notifications don't work even if they're on🤔. And the messaging can be slow, so messages come late and it gets suuuuuper confusing ☹️. Now, calls really need some work. The graphics get pixelated, and the sound gets spotty a lot. And, when you're in another app and you receive a call, you should be able to decline without telling the other person that you declined just in case you don't want to speak to that person. So much needs to be improved, but it has super great potential.
UPDATE: -1 star. Jeez. Now we can't edit our messages?! And, STILL having problems with notifications. Plus, the little icon that shows when people are on? Yeah, that is crap. It will show that people are online, and they're not. 😒 Fix it, Skype.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: May 25, 2017
- Version: 6.35.1
- Size: 129 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © 2003 - 2017 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up$4.99