Skype for iPhone
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Say “hello” to friends and family with an instant message, voice or video call on Skype for free. There’s so much you can do, right from the palm of your hand.
Join over 250 million people every month using Skype
- Get started with Skype on your iPhone and find your friends in an instant.
Call friends on Skype
- Enjoy free voice and video calls to anyone else who is on Skype and make HD quality video calls from your iPhone 5.
Talk to friends in an instant
- Instant message your friends in a flash plus send emoticons.
- Stay in touch with friends and family even when they're busy or offline with unlimited, free video messages.
- Send photos on your iPhone directly to friends or family via Skype. There's no limit on the size of the photo you can send, so you can share a moment without reaching email size limits or paying expensive MMS charges.
Call mobiles and landlines
- Add a little Skype Credit to send low-cost SMS messages or call friends on their mobile or landline.
No WiFi? No problem
- Skype works on 3G* and WiFi – so you can stay in touch, even if you’re out and about.
Chat with anyone, anywhere
- Skype’s available on smartphones, tablets, PCs, Macs and even TVs. Whatever device your friend or family uses, Skype just works. Simple.
Search the app store for other great apps from Skype:
- Skype for iPad
- Skype WiFi
* Operator charges may apply
* iOS 5 or above.
* Send and receive video using front or back camera on:
- iPhone family: iPhone4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5
- iPod Touch family: iPod Touch 4th Generation, iPod Touch 5th Generation
* Works with any H264 compatible devices, including TVs.
* This version works on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and iPod touch.
What's New in Version 4.17.3
- General fixes.
Went from Great to mediocre
This app/service used to be untouchable but in the last 2/3 years it began to suffer from:
A) incr complicated to use & understand
B) increasingly prone to serious crashes, multiple call issues with just about everyone I use it with
C) more expensive overall service
Microsoft's take over appears to have led to over complicating the UI and damaged the call experience and I / we 10+ years professional users are now looking for paid alternatives.
Skype management had better re evaluate the end user experience more closely or else their user base will find alternatives, and there are now dozens here before there were next to none.
All over the place
-App keeps my status online even when apps are closed
-My chat history does not sync 100% between devices with my Skype account. it syncs maybe 25% of the time. it's confusing.
-would like to be able to search by keyword I. chat history - like other chat services allow
-a lot of sync issues in general between devices. Sometimes I simply won't get chat messages if they we're sent before I sign on. sometimes I do get them. really inconsistent.
-typically even on wifi I can't keep a call for long enough w/o getting dropped. I'm sure it's the wifi.
-in summary: I use it bc there is no other choice. it's a insufficient.
Love Skype- but app needs fixes
I have used skype for years, and now I only use the app, because of its convenience. But now the notifications have stopped working. I have checked the notification center in my setting many times and I have it set for "alerts" and have it set to "show on lock screen" but still does not work. The only way I am able to know if I received a message is if I am in the chat, and even then sometimes I do not receive the messages. Please fix, because I love skype, it is a great way for me to contact people!
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Apr 22, 2014
- Version: 4.17.3
- Size: 30.5 MB
- Languages: English, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
- Seller: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © (c) 2003 - 2014 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up$4.99