Skype for iPhone
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Skype you know and love has an all-new design, supercharged with a ton of new features and new ways to stay connected with the people you care about most.
What can I do with Skype?
• Messaging made awesome: More than just text. Send photos, videos, voice messages, emoticons, Mojis and more. You can also respond to any message from your contacts with reactions.
• Great for groups: Add your favorite people and start chatting. Use groups to plan together, play together, for staying in touch or just for hanging out.
• Call everyone - Skype, mobiles and landlines: Free* video and voice calls make it easier to stay connected with friends and family. You’ll also enjoy low calling rates to mobiles and landlines worldwide with Skype.
• Never miss a moment with quick capture: Quickly swipe to capture photos and videos. Make them your own by adding emoticons, stickers and annotations.
• Share Highlights: Keep others updated with Highlights from your day. React to any highlights with awesome emoticons or send a private message about that highlight. Your highlights only stay visible for 7 days to your followers.
*Skype to Skype calls are free. Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.
What's New in Version 8.1
Welcome to the all new Skype.
It's the Skype that you know and love but enhanced with new features to help you connect with the people you care about.
Some of the new features are:
- In-Call Reactions: You can now add live emoticons, live text and even real-time photos to your video and voice calls.
- Message Reactions: Let your contacts know how you feel by adding expressive reactions to their messages.
- Capture: Sharing photos and videos of precious moments are just a swipe away.
- Highlights: Share your day-to-day with friends and family while keeping up with what they are up to using highlights. You can easily respond to others' highlights by reacting with emoticons or even use them as a conversation-starter.
I have never felt the need to write a review of an app before now, but this update to Skype is unbelievable. It appears that the app is desperately trying to emulate other social media apps like Snapchat, which clutters and confuses the UI. As a result, call functionality has, to all appearances, been tossed to the bottom of the priority list. Sure, I can still make calls and do everything I used to be able to, but it takes a few extra clicks or swipes and isn't nearly as simple and accessible as before -- and for that to happen to the functions that defined and distinguishes Skype from the myriad other social media apps out there is completely baffling.
As an example, one of my biggest gripes so far: previously, one of the home screens displayed contacts with a colored icon indicating their online status. Now, that contacts list is replaced by a "capture" screen that's essentially Snapchat, and the contacts list is no longer easily accessible. Even worse, the convenient status icons from before are gone as well.
If I wanted to send a snap, I would have used the actual app -- I don't need this monstrously bastardized POS hybrid.
To much focus on being flashy
It still works to talk to others, as is the main function, so in that regard I cannot complain. I can still talk with my friends so all is well. However the new formatting is just to much and overdone.
I like the simple organized professional feel Skype had. I didn't care if it was flashy I just wanted to talk with my friends and family. Now every message from them is an eyesore of color and less text fits on the screen with the latest update. I applaud the desire to try something new but Skype was my go to for a simple easy form of communication.
I can no longer see if anyone is online or offline by a dot next to their icon (which was very simple and welcome). As I said the text is larger now so messages don't fit in fully which means a lot of scrolling. I do not like having to pick a color scheme as that is the least of my worries. It still works as intended so I cannot give it to bad of a rating. However, in making it more flashy it has also made it more complicated and not very useful in the slightest for mobile users. Perhaps if I was younger I would appreciate this, but there is no appeal in it for me.
I hope there will at least be a change in he text size and the option to go without an arbitrary color scheme. I would like to read messages fully. I don't care about sending my friends gifs in every message.
The worst update ever
This is the first time I am actually writing a review for any app. Just because I never ever got this much disappointed before. I know every change is usually takes time to get used to.. but in this case I don't even want to try to get used to these changes. This is supposed to be Skype, not Snapchat. Why add so many unnecessary (for Skype) features and remove the ones that are actually needed. Why the hell I can no more see who is online of my contact list?? Seriously, I don't know why they decided to do this - Skype is (was) good for being a Skype, it's not gonna get any better if you try to make it something else.. especially by removing the features that made it Skype. It's like cooking a steak and add whipped cream to make it taste better.
I don't know if there is a way to downgrade an app on iPhone, but if I won't be able to do that, I guess I'll just remove this useless app from my phone - will rather use the one on my Mac (hopefully they won't make these stupid changes to that one).
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Jun 26, 2017
- Version: 8.1
- Size: 58.1 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © 2003 - 2017 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, and iPod touch (6th generation).
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up$4.99