Skype for iPhone
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Skype you know and love has an all-new design, supercharged with a ton of new features and new ways to stay connected with the people you care about most.
What can I do with Skype?
• Messaging made awesome: More than just text. Send photos, videos, voice messages, emoticons, Mojis and more. You can also respond to any message from your contacts with reactions.
• Great for groups: Add your favorite people and start chatting. Use groups to plan together, play together, for staying in touch or just for hanging out.
• Call everyone - Skype, mobiles and landlines: Free* video and voice calls make it easier to stay connected with friends and family. You’ll also enjoy low calling rates to mobiles and landlines worldwide with Skype.
• Never miss a moment with quick capture: Quickly swipe to capture photos and videos. Make them your own by adding emoticons, stickers and annotations.
• Share Highlights: Keep others updated with Highlights from your day. React to any highlights with awesome emoticons or send a private message about that highlight. Your highlights only stay visible for 7 days to your followers.
*Skype to Skype calls are free. Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.
Upgrading to the new Skype may result in the deletion of content from older conversations.
To save photos and videos that were previously sent or received in an older version of Skype, save that content to your camera roll/photo gallery before upgrading to the new Skype.
What's New in Version 8.6
We're listening to your feedback and working hard to improve Skype. Here's what's new:
- Resolved issue impacting push notifications.
- General performance and reliability improvements.
If it's not broken don't fix it
I'm not sure why Skype thought it was a good idea to turn their platform into snap chat lite but it was a horrendous move. The app is not user friendly and takes a bit to get used to. I use Skype for basic messaging to my friends overseas, I liked Skype because it was basic. Easy to use, got my messages across, simple. I've started using Discord way more now because of this update. If Discord had video calling I'd completely rid of Skype. Skype isn't a social media platform, it's made for messaging. They took a simple thing and just ruined it. If they don't undo this huge mistake I'll most likely delete the app and only use it for PC, that is until they ruin that too. Discord seems the way to go now...
Videos are almost impossible to watch anymore. Not only did you diminish the time we can send videos from the app (20 seconds?!) but now if I send videos from my phone they take forever to load it at all. This app just keeps getting worse and worse anymore, probably just going to delete and use discord from now...
They broke it
The app before this ridiculous update worked just ok. It wasn't perfect but it WORKED. Now so annoying, I delete it off my phone if I know I don't need to talk to someone. If I want to post stories, I use Snapchat NOT Skype. By adding all these useless features to try and compete with other apps, it makes the whole app useless. Another surprise-when you are physically IN the app, it'll show you as online. The second you go out of the app, it shows you as away. Even if you are on desktop! It picks up calls coming in to my desktop and then will make the desktop chats glitchy. The horrible new layout is difficult to understand, adds too many steps to send messages, and is clunky. The notification tab is annoying. Having every single chat I've had with every contact open in the chat tab is annoying. The new design is screaming 'hip and trendy!!!!!!!!' with the new color schemes and they force you to navigate the new features by sending notifications. I just want the old functional layout back without the added baggage.
Still flakey and still bad
Skype STILL doesn't care about user feedback and honestly ISN'T LISTENING ... for those looking for other options, try these other options: WhatsApp, Viber (works well), FaceTime (only Apple), Google (pretty decent and works on all platforms). Will post more when I find others to mention.
STILL many things broken, app crashes, doesn't meet basic use cases, and targeted for the wrong audience. The UI is just plain bad emphasizing features like "highlights" and "capture" - dumb social networking garbage that other apps have already a captive audience. After 4 terrible updates, you're losing your most loyal user's trust and pushing people to find other products.
When will Microsoft fire this team. Between the UI, Product, Development, and QA teams? They've dropped the ball, went backwards and are actively working to lose their users.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Sep 12, 2017
- Version: 8.6
- Size: 99.1 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © 2003 - 2017 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up$4.99