SkyView® - Explore the Universe
By Terminal Eleven LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
SkyView® brings stargazing to everyone. Simply point your iPhone, iPad, or iPod at the sky to identify stars, constellations, planets, satellites, and more!
Over 1.3 million downloads
App Store Rewind 2011 -- Best Education App
“If you've ever wanted to know what you're looking at in the night sky, this app is the perfect stargazer's companion.”
"If you’ve ever been looking for a stargazing app for your iPhone, then this [is] definitely the one to get."
“SkyView is an Augmented Reality app that lets you see just what delights the sky has to offer.”
– 148Apps Editor’s Choice
You don't need to be an astronomer to find stars or constellations in the sky, just open SkyView® and let it guide you to their location and identify them. SkyView® is a beautiful and intuitive stargazing app that uses your camera to precisely spot and identify celestial objects in sky, day or night. Find all 88 constellations as they fade in and out while you scan across the sky, locate every planet in our solar system, discover distant galaxies, and witness satellite fly-bys.
• Simple: Point your device at the sky to identify galaxies, stars, constellations, planets, and satellites (including the ISS and Hubble) passing overhead at your location.
• Sighting Events: schedule alerts for upcoming celestial events.
• Today Widget: brand new iOS 8 today widget lets you quickly see upcoming celestial events.
• Night Mode: Preserve your night vision with red or green night mode filters.
• Augmented Reality (AR): Use your camera to spot objects in the sky, day or night.
• Sky Paths: Follow the sky track for any object to see it’s exact location in the sky on any date and time.
• Comprehensive: Includes thousands of stars, planets, and satellites with thousands of interesting facts.
• Time Travel: Jump to the future or the past and see the sky on different dates and times.
• Social: Capture and share beautiful images with friends and family on social networks.
• Mobile: WiFi is NOT required (does not require a data signal or GPS to function). Take it camping, boating, or even flying!
What a fun way to teach yourself, your children, your students, or your friends about our wonderful universe!
What's New in Version 3.2
- Optimized for Apple's new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus with higher resolution graphics.
- Adds 5 new stargazing music tracks specifically selected for SkyView. Set the stargazing mood with tracks ranging from slow and ambient to high-paced sci-fi themes.
- Adds new Sightings view that lists the best objects to view at night and the ability to schedule system notifications.
- New iOS 8 Today Widget! Quickly view upcoming celestial Sightings, including their visible time and viewing direction. A tap on any of these sightings launches SkyView to show you exactly where they will appear in the sky.
- Adds beacon sound effect to aid in location of objects (access this feature in Settings > Music & Sound). The new beacon will beep progressively faster as you get closer to your selected sky object.
- New Search filter option lets you display sky objects that are above or below the horizon.
Thanks again for all your support & happy stargazing everyone!
Tweak the Constellation Lines and it's Perfect
I like the way the app show and provides information for all kinds of space objects, not just stars and planets. I love the new iOS 8 widget, which shows me the rise times of planets as well as where to look for them. Tapping on a planet takes me to the app, where an arrow points me in the direction I should be looking.
I wish this app would display the constellations differently, though. I like to be able to visualize the stick creatures and other objects that inspired the constellation names in the first place - you know, to see Leo look like a lion, Taurus like a bull, etc. The constellation art is useless in this regard, and the constellation lines, while matching the IAU, are just as useless. If the creators of this app could add something along the lines of what HA Rey did in his book "The Stars," and connect the stars in such a way that the constellations resemble what they are supposed to resemble, I would give 5 stars and never use any other stargazing app. As it is, I use Sky Safari to look for constellations, as they have the option I just described (I believe it's called "Modern Lines.")
This app is awesome-- if people are complaining about it, I have no idea why. If you're complaining about the degrees being off, any reasonably intelligent person can use the brightest stars in the sky to realize they need to look 1 centimeter to the left. I consider myself an amateur astronomer and this app suits all my needs, if you're smart enough to navigate a very user-friendly app. Don't listen to these complainers-- everyone who plays with my Skyview app is very impressed. You have the sky in your pocket, freakin incredible. I recommend the paid version, it's worth it. Just stay away from things that throw off its navigation abilities, for example, it doesn't work from inside a moving car for obvious reasons. If it's way off, calibrate it. I always fix my calibration very easily.
I am an average star gazer. I go outside at night every once in a while on a clear night to check out the stars and planets that I can see. This app is so cool because now I can look up at the sky and know exactly what I'm looking at. I don't have to guess or check online later, or worst case scenario not find out what I was looking at.
I think it's great that there is more than just the basic planets and stars (constellations, satellites, galaxies...). There are so many things this app keeps track of that you could spend hours trying to find where they all are!
Its a lot of fun, very accurate, and has a load of information. This app is a must have for anyone who wants to do a little star gazing!
- Category: Education
- Updated: Dec 18, 2014
- Version: 3.2
- Size: 95.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Terminal Eleven LLC
- © 2014 Terminal Eleven LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.