SkyView® - Explore the Universe
By Terminal Eleven LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
SkyView® brings stargazing to everyone. Simply point your iPhone, iPad, or iPod at the sky to identify stars, constellations, planets, satellites, and more!
Over 1 million downloads
App Store Rewind 2011 -- Best Education App
“If you've ever wanted to know what you're looking at in the night sky, this app is the perfect stargazer's companion.”
"If you’ve ever been looking for a stargazing app for your iPhone, then this [is] definitely the one to get."
“SkyView is an Augmented Reality app that lets you see just what delights the sky has to offer.”
– 148Apps Editor’s Choice
You don't need to be an astronomer to find stars or constellations in the sky, just open SkyView® and let it guide you to their location and identify them. SkyView® is a beautiful and intuitive stargazing app that uses your camera to precisely spot and identify celestial objects in sky, day or night. Find all 88 constellations as they fade in and out while you scan across the sky, locate every planet in our solar system, discover distant galaxies, and witness satellite fly-bys.
• Simple: Point your device at the sky to identify galaxies, stars, constellations, planets, and satellites (including the ISS and Hubble) passing overhead at your location.
• Night Mode: Preserve your night vision with red or green night mode filters.
• Augmented Reality (AR): Use your camera to spot objects in the sky, day or night.
• Sky Paths: Follow the sky track for any object to see it’s exact location in the sky on any date and time.
• Comprehensive: Includes thousands of stars, planets, and satellites with thousands of interesting facts.
• Time Travel: Jump to the future or the past and see the sky on different dates and times.
• Social: Capture and share beautiful images with friends and family on social networks.
• Mobile: WiFi is NOT required (does not require a data signal or GPS to function). Take it camping, boating, or even flying!
What a fun way to teach yourself, your children, your students, or your friends about our wonderful universe!
What's New in Version 3.1.1
Current Users: Please don't forget to sign-in and restore your purchases if you believe your satellites are missing! Just head over to the Downloads area in settings and then select "Restore All". Thank you
-Stability and bug fixes.
Accurate, easy to find stars
I mostly care about accuracy when it comes to these star apps and I find this space app to be the most accurate, especially if manually calibrated. Using the augmented reality and manual calibration features, I can align stars with the app for extreme accuracy. So accurate in fact, I can use SkyView to help point my telescope at stars I find in the app! However if you’re stargazing without a scope with friends or family, the automatic calibration seems to be accurate enough to spot stars, planets, satellites, etc. with the naked eye. The camera view plus the snapshot features are a lot of fun as well. Well done.
The sky tracks that are displayed for each star is very useful and intuitive. Just select any object and then scan over the track to see when the star will be at that point on the track. I don't think any other space app does this and it's very impressive. Also, the quick settings feature is very accessible and easy to use. I can quickly turn on and off the augmented reality camera and change the star visibility quickly so the number of stars displayed matches the sky above me. This app has been evolving for the past couples of years now and it's better than ever. Thank you!
An App That Causes People To Gather Around
This is by far one of the neatest and most useful Apps I have had. I've used it when out in the field on geology trips and it has one multiple occasions caused people to gather around my phone in awe of what you could learn and what you could locate using this app. What's more is it not only tells you what you are looking at, but gives you details and facts about different stars, planets, satellites, and constellations. This is definitely a must have if you ever find yourself outside at night looking up into the sky!
- Category: Education
- Updated: Feb 18, 2014
- Version: 3.1.1
- Size: 67.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Terminal Eleven LLC
- © 2013 Terminal Eleven LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Brightest Satellites$0.99