By Slack Technologies, Inc.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Slack brings team communication and collaboration into one place so you can get more work done, whether you belong to a large enterprise or a small business. Check off your to-do list and move your projects forward by bringing the right people, conversations, tools, and information you need together. Slack is available on any device, so you can find and access your team and your work, whether you’re at your desk or on the go.
Use Slack to:
• Communicate with your team and organize your conversations by topics, projects, or anything else that matters to your work
• Message or call any person or group within your team
• Share and edit documents and collaborate with the right people all in Slack
• Integrate into your workflow, the tools and services you already use including Google Drive, Salesforce, Dropbox, Asana, Twitter, Zendesk, and more
• Easily search a central knowledge base that automatically indexes and archives your team’s past conversations and files
• Customize your notifications so you stay focused on what matters
Scientifically proven (or at least rumored) to make your working life simpler, more pleasant, and more productive. We hope you’ll give Slack a try.
Stop by and learn more at: https://slack.com/
What's New in Version 2.4.1
• We discovered that removing a bunch of unnecessary processes improved app startup time. Who knew? Less really is more. Or at least, less is more-faster. Or should that be fewer? Whatever: It's better.
• We simplified the way we remember your teams and app settings. This shouldn't affect much, aside from some bugs wherein we forgot your teams or app settings, which are now fixed.
• For the savvy troubleshooter, a new tool: Help > Show Logs in Explorer will package up some app diagnostic files, should you ever need them.
• You'll now receive an OS notification when you join or leave the beta program. Our apologies to the folks previously confounded by an perplexingly inoperable "Join the beta" button.
• Our zoom levels now match the Chrome browser, so you should feel right at home (so long as your home is Chrome).
• An infrequent crash when quitting the app has been dispatched.
• A slightly more frequent crash while checking for updates; eliminated.
• Signing out of teams from the right-click menu is 46.8% more reliable.
• And finally, if you had multiple displays, new windows (such as a call or a Post) would appear on the primary display instead of the display that Slack was on. Rather than submit this to a physics journal for peer review, we decided to fix it. All is as it should be.
High battery consumption
The app works OK on the mac, however, it kills my battery.
When Slack is running, it switches on the High Performance Graphics Card on my mac. The app itself is not graphics intensive at all, and there is no reason for it to use the high performance graphics card.
Until Slack get that fixed, I don’t see it as a viable tool for me. I am not ready to trade hours of battery life for what it has to offer. Support is also lacking, as the Slack site only allows me to browse existing topics, there is no way to report a problem.
Slack is ok for real time IM, but it has become incredibly bloated lately as they continue to bolt on features without thought to streamlining. For instance, I had slack open for a few days on my laptop only to discover it was consuming about 2GB of memory; pretty unacceptable.
What a pleasure!
I’ve been using Slack for 1 ½ years. The elimination of so much debris i.e. texting, email, collaborative documents here and there makes this App a perfect basis for any team work regardless of team size. Then, add to its powerful base the ability to extend using external apps and even create your own, makes Slack quickly becomes the standard of group communications. Its editor’s ability to write/present code in various platforms is exceptional. Everything is archived forever and searchable! I have been in IT for 40+ years, I only wish we had a tool like Slack when I was leading teams doing system development. Great Work Guys/Gals - Keep It Up!
- Category: Business
- Updated: Jan 10, 2017
- Version: 2.4.1
- Size: 68.4 MB
- Languages: English, Amharic, Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Slack Technologies, Inc.
- © Slack Technologies, Inc.
Compatibility: OS X 10.9 or later, 64-bit processor