Socially Speaking™ App for Social Skills Building in Young Children with Autism and Special Needs
By Socially Speaking LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
TEAM= Together, Everyone Achieves More!
Designed by a speech therapist for parents/professionals to work together!
Assessment Based on the Socially Speaking™ Program by Penina Rybak MA/CCC-SLP, TSHH
Book: "Autism Intervention in the iEra": http://amzn.to/1QzHjNL
◉ The Only Digital, Developmental, Customizable, Collaborative, Social Skills Screener in the World To "Go Green" with PDF Exporting! ◉
An Early Detection Screening/Management Plan Template for Young Children At Risk for Behavioral/Social Issues (Autism, Special Needs, Immaturity, Sensory Processing Deficits, and Learning Differences)
• Easy, succinct, and visual way to assess and determine "missing puzzle pieces" re: social skills development, play skills development, and self regulation skills
• Tie child's current level of behavioral/social skills functioning directly to lesson plans aimed at increasing social skills in young children at risk, such as Autism/ special needs
• Customize lesson plans with goals and graphics, giving the child's team common ground/language, better perspective, and an easier time documenting future goals
1. Early detection tool to update baseline data
2. Customize Behavior Plans and treatment goals
3. Upload your own photos or take photos on the go, for a unique "hands on" experience to facilitate teamwork.
4. Export your entire evaluation as a PDF, which can be Emailed immediately to file.
1. Due to HIPPA regulations re: confidentiality, content of the PDF cannot be saved once the App is turned off. As long as you keep the App open, you can view/change/export/print the PDF.
2. When importing photos and typing text in the text boxes, remember: the longer the sentences, the greater the possibility that printer margins re: page breaks (i.e. layout of the top of the page and bottom of the page) may be affected when printing the PDF. This is NOT a bug! There is no way to anticipate how many words per phrase you'll type. Make sure to examine/export the entire PDF, to ensure layout, BEFORE closing the App. Thanks!
- Penina Rybak MA/CCC-SLP, TSHH
Speech-Language Pathologist & Educational Technology Consultant
1. To identify/assess social skills for children at risk (behavioral issues, Autism, special needs)
2. To formulate and implement more precise, customized plans/ goals
3. To enhance multidisciplinary collaboration for the child in need of behavior management and social skills strategies
4. To determine starting points for remediation of behavioral challenges in school and home settings
*NOTE* This App can be used as a screener for BOTH regular education and special education students! While it is geared for younger children, it CAN be used to fill in the blanks when evaluating older ones, especially those with Autism!
Penina Rybak, MA/CCC-SLP, is an Educational Technology Consultant, Autism Specialist, speech-language pathologist, and entrepreneur. She participated in the 1995-2000 NY TRAID Project, in conjunction with the Westchester Institute for Human Development, which worked to integrate Apple™ technology into special education. She also spearheaded The Boardmaker™ Initiative, from 2008-2010, which worked on customizing curriculum needs and implementing behavior management strategies at a charter school in New York. It resulted in her 2010 launch of her company Socially Speaking LLC, her Socially Speaking™ Social Skills Curriculum, seminars, and iPad App. Penina lectures nationally/ internationally, on customizing social communication strategies, the developmental integration of iPad Apps into treatment of Autism/Special Needs, and Early Childhood play based assessment and intervention. Her book "Autism Intervention in the iEra: Practical Social Communication Strategies Integrating Toys and Tech in Treatment" was published Spring 2015. Facebook: Socially Speaking LLC. YouTube: socialslp.
Great Assessment Tool
The Socially Speaking App provides a quick and easy format for assessing social skills in young children and identifying goal areas. The questions are easy to understand making this an ideal tool to use with parents, teachers and day care providers. This tool is currently being used by C.L.A.S.P International, a non-profit that started the first graduate level training program for Speech-Language Pathologists in Zambia, as a valuable resource for identifying goal areas in children with Autism. Socially Speaking is easy to administer, provides developmentally appropriate social language and play goals, and the early intervention checklist provides ages of mastery for each skill in typically developing children. Socially Speaking is a valuable tool to supplement standardized test measures and provide functional goals to address in treatment. A must for every SLPs toolbox!
Elisabeth Miller M.S. CCC SLP
Autism Clinic Practicum Designer
Love this app!
This is a great app to use for assessing preschoolers' behaviors and communication strengths and weaknesses, plus it allows you to determine appropriate and functional therapy goals. Simple to use and easy to share with a team. Money well spent! Thank you!
There aren't a lot of special education Apps out there and this hidden gem delivers! The price is right, the content is right, and it does exactly what it says it does and more! You gotta get this!